20 oz. Copper vs. 0.032" Aluminum Gut... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » 20 oz. Copper vs. 0.032" Aluminum Gutters « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Daniel Ernst
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now that I've finished the roof, I'm moving onto other parts of the building.

I'm trying to decide if I should install copper or aluminum gutters. I'm hoping to install the one with the best overall value.

I've read that copper gutters will last 50 - 60 years before they develop pinhole leaks. I've seen aluminum gutters that are 30 years old, without any problems.

*Both metals require a substantial amount of energy to produce(from raw material to finished product), although aluminum requires more.

*Both are highly recyclable.

*Both are durable.

Although I prefer copper - aesthetically - either one would work for the style of house we are building. So it comes down to price versus longevity - and if other benefits push in a particular direction.

I can get 5" K-style (aka ogee) 0.032" seamless aluminum gutters locally for ~ $400, including installation charges.

Based on several on-line suppliers, I can probably purchase the required materials for copper gutters at ~ $1,500. It's not the gutter itself that is so expensive, but the hangers ($6.00 and up for either hidden hangers or facia hangers).

Does anyone have any personal experience with these two choices? Will the copper have double the live expectancy of the heavy gauge aluminum? Is one more suitable for a slate roof, versus the other (I have yet to read recommendations for using aluminum flashings for a slate roof, so does the same apply for gutters)?

I would appreciate any insight on this topic.

Regards,
Daniel

Walter Musson
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 06:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Daniel,
Are you pricing the copper as ogee profile too?
Are they just straight runs with end caps and eaves tubes?

If your runs are straight you could have one piece alum. put on and only have to seal the end caps and drops leavind fewer chances for joint failure.
You'll most likely use 10' lengths of copper with slip connectors and soldered seams.
There are some nice looking colors in .032
I doubt if copper will last double that for alum. but certainly it will be longer.
A good question for the CDA.
Best regards,

Daniel Ernst
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have three straight runs: 10', 34', and 54'

I'll have to put an expansion joint in the 54' section, but otherwise it's a simple installation. End caps and downspouts - no miters or other complications.

I priced both 6" half round and 5" ogee copper. Several places are offering them for ~ $5-$6 a linear foot (10' or 20' sections).

I was thinking about purchasing a 100' coil of copper, having the local seamless gutter business form it on site for me. This would eliminate joining issues, but not the cost.

If I could find a source for reasonably priced brass facia hangers I would probably spring for copper. Otherwise I don't think I can justify a price 3X higher for a material that doesn't have 3X the life.

BTW, I tried using the CDA question form on their website, but never received a response. Have you used this successfully?

Thanks for the reply Walter.

Walter Musson
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 04:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Daniel,
I'll check with my supplier and see what kind of price I get and let you know.If it's reasonable I could get them here and ship them down to you.
Copper would probably be more long lasting but as you say not 3 times.
Thats a real good idea to have your local one piece man make it with your copper.It might even give him a new line after he does your job.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration