Copper valley sections meet at top of... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Copper valley sections meet at top of dormer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jimmyjim (Jimmyjim)
Advanced Member
Username: Jimmyjim

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Bud. I think I get it now- I was really just curious since I read it and have never done it before, so thought I'd ask while I have some down time shopping for a bending brake.

You're right though- I'll probably end up soldering.

Appreciate your time.

Jim

Bud (Bud)
Username: Bud

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My advice here is to try the template again only this time see if you can extend the 'upper' half over the ridge thus closing the hole that exists at the intersection.

Save on metal by using a heavy weight paper when you get it to a point that you think will work, use the paper as a template and transfer to a small metal sample like in the picture.

I could show you if I was there but here goes an attempt with words; bend the two pieces to fit the valley. Lay one first, fold and attach sparingly. Now, lay the second in place, from the point where the two intersect (the spot where the hole is in the picture)mark outward and down the center of the valley. Cut the mark, fold tight and trim to suit visually.

Hopefully that is helpful to get you started. What you have in the photo looks good if you can close the gap.

What would be so wrong with a little solder, it would sure beat through fastening to hold it together.

I am anxious to see what others offer, it's hard to explain things that we just do.

Jimmyjim (Jimmyjim)
Advanced Member
Username: Jimmyjim

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all. I'm nearly finished with my dormer and need to finish my copper valley so I can install my ridge slates. I know that this topic was recently discussed and will just refer to that if you say so. On page 270 (middle section) of the Slate Roof Bible it shows a valley with what appears to be a dormer.

It reads:
Valley sections are folded over each other at top. No soldering required.

Perhaps this refers to something else, but if there is a way to do this at the top without soldering can someone explain this to me? I've attached two pics that show my best attempt, but I know it wont work. Water will track right down to where the cut is. Perhaps there is another kind of fancy cut that works?

Thanks-

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration