Revere freedom gray copper Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Revere freedom gray copper « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Walter Musson
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 06:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone had any experience using the new patinated copper from Revere?
Although it works similar to plain cold rolled bright it's a real pain to solder.They suggest no flame soldering,use of no lead solder,and a flux with high tin content.
I can understand wanting to get away from lead but this really makes using this product much more difficult,and it's a lot more money per sheet than good old lc copper.
Their rep is supposed to call me this week but I wondered if anyone had tried 50/50 solder on this.

Peter
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Walter,

Over here they call it Pre-Patinated copper, a nice green finish before the copper ever gets exposure.

The rules are very strict about installing it, No Solder, No Marking with sharp objects and minimum dressing of the sheet.

In theory it is a good product for cladding walls etc but not really for roofs in my opinion.

Kind Regards,

Peter Crawley, M.I.o.R.

www.crawleyroofing.com

Walter Musson
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter,
This product has a zinc-tin coating not the pre-patinated green look.It's meant to replace the use of lead coated copper for environmental concerns.The factory claims it can be soldered with a high tin content flux and a lead free solder,but it is extremely tedious and frustrating to complete.
I'm wondering if others have used it more often and varied the procedure for soldering-like using a standard flux and a solder with lead content?
The factory says not to and not to use flame for heat either,just heavy hand irons.

Peter
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 06:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Walter,

Sounds very like Rheinzinc, they have similar rules.

A very hard product to solder, a touch too much heat and everthing expands, too little and you have a mess.

They call the finish "Titanium" I never liked zinc because even the old sheet had no forgivness.

I am expecting problems with the zinc roofs where the manufacturers will be walking away blaming the roofer.

I would stay strictly within their rules / guidelines or you could be leaving yourself open to your friendly supplier turning on you.

I have a man who has over forty years experience with metal and he reckons the new zinc can't be relied on with solder.

Kind Regards,

Peter Crawley, M.I.o.R.

www.crawleyroofing.com

Walter Musson
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter,
There's a good piece I just read today in Roofing Contractor magazine,which I see you respond to their message board as well.
It talks about Follansbee Metals developing ZT alloys for their steel sheet to replace the old terne coat.ZT being a zinc tin alloy-the same as Revere claims to be using.
I talked with their tech rep. today and asked about 50/50 solder being used.They told it was o.k. as long as the arch. and owner approved.
I did a mock up with 50/50 and it was a whole different ballgame.So lead solder doesn't appear to be a structural issue as much as an environmental one.

Peter
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 06:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Walter,

Lead solder should work with zinc because sheet lead does have a small amount of zinc added to give it a some strength.

I think the objection by the new type finish zinc product suppliers is based on the coating they are using on the zinc not the zinc as a base metal.

Some of the "Environment" people are going a little over the top from what I can see.

I was reading an article where copper is considered as a danger to the environment by the authorities in San Francisco.

"The Experts" appear to have missed the point that copper is a long life product unlike the many oil / plastic replacements, also copper can be recycled, what is happening to all the built up roofs as they are stripped for renewal ?

More fun for the roofer and the building owner :)

Kind Regards,

Peter Crawley, M.I.o.R.

www.crawleyroofing.com

Chuck Tanguay
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We're finishing our first Freedom Grey roof on the skirt area of a slate steeple we're re-doing. It was hard to believe that Revere would send out a roofing metal with an 'aesthetic' coating that makes it next to impossible to solder. Of course it is 'mentioned' in the data sheet that wasn't included in our order. Once we figured it out (yeah, steeplejacks are a bit slow) and went through laquer thinner hell, gallons and gallons of it for a 3 square roof, we found it solders ok. The tinning flux from Johnson is garbage, shouldn't need tinning flux on coated metal anyway, and I'm sure 50/50 works better than the tin/zinc gradoo. I'm hoping Follansbee comes out with an uncoated version that could be considered a 'serious' roofing metall, till then avoid the stuff if you have lots of soldering. It does solder though.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration