I need a professional opinion on a sl... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » I need a professional opinion on a slate roof repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John_chan (John_chan)
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All the bad repairs need to be removed, the tar, the sliding metal bibs, etc.

Try calling our Cleveland office at 216-751-0151 or our toll free number at 800-666-7445. You can also contact us on our website at www.durableslate.com

Bud (Bud)
Username: Bud

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please re-read EPL's post, now take a look at the photo you provided.

There is no place for tar smeared on the slates to facilitate a 'proper repair', tar has it's place and is best used sparingly.

The metal flashing the has been inserted helter skelter in my humble opinion is poor workmanship. Why would a Slate Roofing Contractor do this...a temporary repair maybe. Why would your roofer not locate slates and replace the damaged with the new therein providing a sound and professional repair that would be viable.

If you left the dentist and looked in the mirror to discover that your new smile looked like the patchwork you now have for a roof I am certain the first call you would make would be to an attorney.

Bad repair, believe us, get Joe's book and learn for yourself. What should be done to repair it, whatever a credible slate roofing contractor says should be done after a close inspection of the roof, the slate and the concerns that you have. Whatever relationship you have with the 'roofer' that did this should be put aside, you need a new roofer at least for your slate roofs.

It is not my intent to be harsh, you need to realize that I spend alot of time sitting with homeowners waiting for the tears to stop so we can get on with the process of properly repairing a roof that is in most cases less than 5 years old. This situation strikes a nerve for me, I hate to see folks taken advantage of.

Lancelot (Lancelot)
Username: Lancelot

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I appreciate the feedback so far however, can some of you weigh in on why this isnt a good repair and what exactly should be done here?

Epl (Epl)
Username: Epl

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2010 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lance,
The repair is poor at best. There are many red flags here. Tar, chipped/ broken slates, & metal shims in lieu of slates. This is only what we can see on the surface. If there was an active leak, there more than likely is still an active leak. This is unfortunately a situation of "you get what you pay for". There are plenty of qualified slate and tile roofing contractors in the Cleveland area. My recommendation is to contact one who specializes in this sort of roofing system and have them provide you with an estimate to correctly fix your roof.
You should always ask for references and do some research on these companies - make sure you're covering yourself and your investment.
Eric P. Loema

Sales | Salvage | Procurement

P (800) 699-5695 | F (815) 547-1425

Web: www.TileandSlateSales.com | www.ClayTileRoof.com

E-mail: epl@TileandSlateSales.com | epl@ClayTileRoof.com

Lancelot (Lancelot)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2010 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

should something additional be done here?

Bud (Bud)
Username: Bud

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2010 - 07:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stop payment.

You will likely hear lots of opinions directly however trust your gut. Does this look like a 'viable repair'. I would accept the insertion of the pieces of metal as a temporary repair until the proper material was gathered but not as a permanent repair. The use of tar, not cool.

Is that a pen sticking in the roof or....

What is the flat roof made with, where is the leak showing up.

Best of luck, and find another Roofing Contractor not just a 'roofer'.

Lancelot (Lancelot)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2010 - 01:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a picture of and area of slate roof directly over a flat roof. The roofer insists this area is a good repair. Can you tell me if the repairs are viable or should I do something. Any idea about what is going on in this area would be a big help. Thank you

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration