ID the Slate Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » ID the Slate « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 517
Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First the quality of the stone. It is dense and hard and will last for decades. Most of the Penn. slate is softer and will crumble after 50-60 years. If this is the original and it is still hard and dense, that is the first indication. You have no closeups, but the buckingham will have a slight "greenish" tint to the surface. Take a few more detailed pics for us and we will all tke a look.

Bud (Bud)
Username: Bud

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Located in Central PA. Most of the slate roofs in our area are gone or will soon need to be. Lots of soft stuff, I assume from here in PA. As we travel outwards from hometown area it is common to see Chapman, Vermont greens and whatever else.

My assumption was it was either Buckingham or I was hoping maybe Peach Bottom. I know the owner and the home is trimmed in native Chesnut, a striking home and the folks appreciate the roof.

Tell me if you will what makes you think it is what it is and not something else...identification of the slate used on various roofs I see has become a 'passtime' as I travel around working on other types of roofing. Just trying to learn here, maybe someday I will actually get to work with the stuff.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 515
Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not sure where you are at, but if it is from the 20's and still looks like that, it is probably Buckingham Virginia slate. Looks like it and it wears like it for sure.

Bud (Bud)
Username: Bud

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Help if you can, house in our local area that has a beautiful roof on it. Homeowner doesn't know anymore than it was built in the 20's. He told me that if he finds a piece of the slate anywhere he will see that I get it.

I would love if someone could give me an idea what it might be
pic 1
pic 2
pic 3
pic 4

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration