Please help with dormer ridge. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Please help with dormer ridge. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Planejane (Planejane)
Intermediate Member
Username: Planejane

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay old school, that's what I wanted to know! I took it all down and redid it. I changed it from 8" to 7.5" spacing on the ridge so that the spacing would be even. It gives me one more set of slate on the ridge line. I did what you said, put up wood nailers, cut my nails in half and just nailed to the wood piece without going through the copper. I am also putting 2 copper straps and some Geocel 3500 to hold everything in place for those last 2 sets of slate. I hope it doesn't fall down in a few years.
When I do the front of the house I'm going to do the ridges when I do the roof and cut them in to the house slate as I go. That will give it even more support. Thanks again.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 508
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane, you are over thinking it. The way you have the flashing beneath and over top the slates in the valley is already water proofing it. The ridge is just a "covering" at this point; at least on the point of the valley. It looks like you need one more row of slate at the ridge and then the ridge slates. A wood "nailer" would be of great help at the ridge before you tried to install the slates. You are going to have to put a piece of copper over the nailers anyway, and that will help to over flash the valley copper. The nails for the ridge will be into the wood nailer and not into the copper below it.

Tuke (Tuke)
Username: Tuke

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Start with a slate on either side turned sideways cut at an angle to fit into the valley. Then cover the nails with a step flashing. Then another coarse of slate turned sideways, another step flashing and so on. I don't have any pictures to illustrate this so I hope the explaination is clear enough.

Planejane (Planejane)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your response Tuke. If you look at the pictures you can see the phases as I progress with the ridge almost to being completed. I have closed valleys and I don't know how to do the final step of connecting the dormer to the house. Look at the very last picture. How do I finish the job without nailing through the underlying copper?
Joe, don't you have a "how to" video or written material somewhere?

Tuke (Tuke)
Username: Tuke

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are some pictures of valleys on the job we are doing now.
valley01
valley02
valley03

Planejane (Planejane)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have 3 dormers all in different stages of completion. The first picture is showing the copper coming off the roof onto the dormer. 2. The second picture is with the cant strips and the last row of slate before the ridge slates are added. 3. This picture shows the ridge slates almost complete. Even though it looks like I nailed through the copper, I didn't. I cut the nails off so that they were as long as the thickness of the slate and the cant strip. If I put another pair of slates on I can't nail them through the copper either or I will compromise the integrity of the system, it being water proof. How are these last slates connected to the house? The rest of the pictures are close up views. Please tell me where I can find instructions on how to do this final step of completing the connection. Thanks for your help.

pictuer
picture
picture
picture
picture
picture

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 506
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seriously, the valley copper should be flashing it already where the two roofs come together. If you have an open valley, stop the top ridge short of the cut on the valley about a half an inch. The tops of the valley flashing will be over-lapped at the top and they will shed the water just fine.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 505
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't that the place where Joe used about 5 gallons of "flashing" and smeared it all over everything?

Planejane (Planejane)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will someone please tell me how to connect the ridge on a dormer to the house? I know how to do a ridge from watching Joe's "How to" on ridges. He doesn't show how to connect the ridge to the house. I hope I didn't goof it up by not doing it when I was at that level on the roof. I didn't do them at that time because I wanted to be able to stand on them while working on the rest of the roof. Now I'm finished this half of the house and want to do the ridges and can't figure out how to properly connect them to the house. Is there a video or information somewhere that someone might know about? Thanks for any input. Jane

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration