Broken Slate as Ground Cover Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Broken Slate as Ground Cover « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 502
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shoes are way over rated sometimes!

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 568
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The edges of broken slates can be sharp as razor blades - even sharper. So if someone falls on them or tries to walk barefoot on them, look out!

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 500
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2010 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There you go. Like I said, it makes good fill!

Milo (Milo)
Username: Milo

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2010 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After sorting a very large batch of used slate and keeping anytinhg that could be cut to 6"X10" i still had a large batch of broken "scraps"...so I killed 3 birds with one stone.
1. Needed a bunch of topsoil for other part of yard
2. Needed a place to put my firewood racks which drained well
3. Needed to get rid of slate scraps

So I dug a large pit ( got my needed top soil), threw the slate scraps in the hole and then put my wood racks on top of the filled hole. Good drainage keeps the damp/mud off of the bottom of the wood stack and no unslighty piles of scrap for the wife to comment daily on.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 499
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Broken slate also makes good fill!

Wernerapnj (Wernerapnj)
Username: Wernerapnj

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was thinking the same thing - keep the 'solid' pieces for projects/art/birdhouses...etc

Most of it is crumbling and flaking... I un-expertly identify them as black PA with a diagonal vein through them. Ribbon Slate from what I've read.

My guess is using it as ground cover will keep the weeds from growing, allow water to pass through and look interesting.

I generally I like to re-purpose anything.

Blue_sky_roofing (Blue_sky_roofing)
Intermediate Member
Username: Blue_sky_roofing

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Artists like them for their paintings. I've got pieces set aside just for that, but they must be pieces that the surface is not 'flaking' off. I can easily get 25 cents for them; just a little extra pocket change.

Some artists even grind into the slate (thicker ones) to give their paintings 'depth' - awesome!

I don't see any problems though with driveway material - as long as there is no nails in them :)
...it is rock after all.

Wernerapnj (Wernerapnj)
Username: Wernerapnj

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Along with the batch of 'good' slate I was given I have the opportunity to take a mixed batch of material that is mostly broken/defective.

After culling out the good pieces I'm thinking the leftovers would make a fine ground cover along the lines of 'dirty stone' or gravel.

Any major downside to doing that?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration