Storage Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Storage « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 569
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

blue sky - the vertical stack looks good. The only recommendation I would make is that the laths run clear through. This would take the pressure off the lower sections of the vertical stack.

Blue_sky_roofing (Blue_sky_roofing)
Intermediate Member
Username: Blue_sky_roofing

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL! I just noticed that my 'vertical' & 'horizontal' terms are exact opposite that of Joe's pic.

Matter of perspective, I guess. Just wanted to clarify that to avoid confusion.

Intermediate Member

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slate

Intermediate Member

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The one thing I do different than Joe's pic is put the vertical stack in the middle:

Make your vertical stack and then go horizontal out from both sides of center vertical stack.

I used to stack it like Joe's pic but the slate, over time, would push the vertical stack; sometimes completely over. I even drove 2" steel pipes in the ground against the vertical stack and would still 'lean out' the pile (Most of this would happen during the spring thaw when the ground becomes 'mush')

PS. If you have a few cement blocks, you could use them as your 'center' to lean your slate against on each side.

PSS. All I do to cover my slate is lay slate flat ways on top of the pile, overlapping them a little so water runs off.

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 634
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you can get a pcs of rudder that works well, but this isn't that important unless you where to need to use it during the winter months.

Wernerapnj (Wernerapnj)
Username: Wernerapnj

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now that is Awesome -

Thanks guys, the description and diagram make it crystal clear. I will be setting that up this weekend.

What about a weather proof covering - good, bad or no matter? My thinking is that the less water/damp and freeze/thaw they are subjected to the better.

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 567
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how to stack roofing slate

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 633
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 08:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Make a few stacks flat on the sides for supports, as you start the second row put the flat stack in about 8 in from the edge of the first row. Use 2x4 under then to keep them off the ground. I would never buy slate after then have all been stored flat, because how must would be broken.

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you stack them vetically directly off the ground, you'll probably lose the first 5 slate. I purchased slate earlier this year that was 19 vertical piles & 2.5' high. The slate had sucken 2" into the dirt and the bottom 5 - 7 slate were broke on each pile (freeze - thaw & weight is more then those bottom slate can handle).
You are planning on going 4' high? - that's a lot of weight pressing down on those bottom slate (1000lbs.?)

If you must stack them vertically, you still should put down something substantial to uniformly support the entire surface of the slate - just like the garage floor (cement?)from where you got them.
I definitly would not criss-cross them. Although it would hold the pile together as 'one', it is going to put tremendous pressure on them as the pile settles. Keep the piles on an 'individual basis'.

Wernerapnj (Wernerapnj)

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well sure, and one would need vertical supports and horizontal separators, etc. And if placed on bare ground (as these are) they will sink in (knife edges) and bugs and worms and mold will grow between them. Ah, put them off the ground you say. Well that requires a pallet....

I'm trying to keep this simple for now.

Wb

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 632
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can stack slate on edge, more then one row high!

Wernerapnj (Wernerapnj)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm - 25% is a big hit. I certainly dont want to lose any :-)

Fortunately they are not being moved around, just sitting there in the yard. I'll try to find some middle ground in my storage method, perhaps a lower and longer stack to mitigate the weight..

Thanks for your comments - Werner

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 497
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I once had to sort and install about 6 squares of slate that had been stacked flat in a warehouse. What a mess. 25% breakage on that one. It is worse when they are moved on the pallet when they are flat. They break just like a pane of glass will. Good luck on that one.

Wernerapnj (Wernerapnj)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 02:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the advice -in theory, storage on edge makes sense. But that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid - putting them on edge would spread them all over the yard. Also, I would have to cover them since tree debris would quickly clog up the gaps and create a rotting mess between them.

What I'm looking for is some first hand experiences from folks with flat stacking. Rates of breakage (or not).

I have to say that they were stored in the garage I retrieved them from in a huge stack and NONE of them were broken due to the accumulated weight. And these are relatively soft thin PA material.

Wb

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 496
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 07:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No real need to cover it, but it should be stored on edge. You can take a pallet and put wooden sides on it and put the slate in the box. They can be stacked two high, but do put them on their edges. The water will run through them that way, and they are stongest on their side axis.

Wernerapnj (Wernerapnj)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops -

Of course I meant "...not very practical."

Wb

Wernerapnj (Wernerapnj)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 02:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello - was given some salvaged slate as part of a garage clean-out and have no immediate project for it. I need to store it outdoors and was wondering how best to do that.

My understanding is that they should be stood on edge, however that is not very impractical. I have made flat stacks of 10 thick next to each other alternating the layers by 90 degrees. The result is a cube about 2x3x4 foot high.

Should this be covered from weather or is it best left uncovered ?

Regards - Wb

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration