Protecting metal roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Protecting metal roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 493
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That will certainly work, but make sure you don't "nail" the planks down to the roof to hold them on. I have seen such nonsense before is the only reason I would mention it!

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 565
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you do double lock standing seams, you can lay planks between them and put plywood over top. That will protect it during construction.

Jlee (Jlee)
Username: Jlee

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My house is currently clad with 12 yr. old asphalt shingles, but originally had Buckingham on the main roof and flat lock (possibly steel) on the porches below. I have some damage to the porch and have a few leaks. In a perfect world I'd love to go back with slate someday and am considering standing seam for the porches. I can afford standing seam right now, but slate may take a while, if ever.
Question is, If I do standing seam now - and say in a few years have to replace the main roof - how much risk is there of damage to the standing seam from construction? Is there a way to protect it from falling slates, shingles, hammers, or whatever?
I can patch up this roof in a few places for probably a grand and "get by" awhile longer till both roofs can be done, but it sure would be nice to enjoy the metal roof now since it is within reach. Looking for some practical advice here, tough decision.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration