Ice & Water Shield Question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Ice & Water Shield Question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 476
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used Grace before too, and at the lap where a bit of the bitumen is exposed, it is impossible to get it apart. Put the 30# felt over the whole thing.

John_chan (John_chan)
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It REALLY depends on the type of IWS being used. Almost granular types are horrible with sticking and makes it ridiculous to try to repair later, but some of the other IWS like Grace has a plastic like top that isn't bad. Probably the best for this is Polyglass TU Plus. It has a polyester fabric on top and doesn't stick at all. It's specified on almost all the jobs we've bid in Florida.

But as Blue Sky said, don't rely on the underlayment as your "line of defense".

Blue_sky_roofing (Blue_sky_roofing)
Username: Blue_sky_roofing

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As Joe said... the 2nd guy is CORRECT! Take it from one who has ripped off a roof (shingle) or 2 where I&W was present - might as well rip off the wood decking. This is going to be a MAJOR - MAJOR headache for roofers in the near future.

If the I&W has a plastic top layer (such as Grace I&W) than it probably is OK to leave 'uncovered'; but if it is like most that have a granular surface, then put a layer of felt paper over top to act as a divorcing material between I&W and the slate/shingles.

CAUTION: When installing felt over I&W on a 'walkable' roof, use simplex nails or staple / nail the heck out of it. The felt likes to 'move' on the I&W with your body weight. I always install the felt 2" higher than the I&W so that the top 2" is stapled to the wood deck

ALSO: Don't be fooled into thinking that I&W is the 'ultimate cure-all' for leaks. I have seen it fail. It is not going to have a perfect seal around EVERY single nail penetration. (Make sure your first 'line of defense', is your best 'line of defense' - don't depend on your 'back-up system').

Walter_musson (Walter_musson)
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since only the top edge of the slate touches the ice and water shield and it's not sticky on the front side , the first option is viable .
I've repaired several roofs with Grace as underlayment with no problems removing pieces of slate .

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 557
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The second guy is correct.

Whct (Whct)
Username: Whct

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One slater told me he plans to use IWS for the first 2 feet or so from the bottom and 30lb felt for the rest of the roof. Another told me the same thing only that he also will cover the IWS with 30lb felt as well. Otherwise, he said it would make that portion of the roof impossible to repair in the future because of the adhesion of the slate to the IWS.

Who is correct here?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration