Nail Heads of Modern Roffing Nails vs... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Nail Heads of Modern Roffing Nails vs. Older Roofing Nails « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Don Reavey
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joe:

I noticed that the heads on the older roofing nails I pulled out of my slates are smaller than the typical modern roofing nail. Does this present a problem for slate? I take it that a wider nail head area is needed to secure disposable aspahlt roofing due to its flimsy nature.

My concern is that the head will be too large to recess properly into the pre-punched holes. Are there nails made with smaller heads. I noticed even copper nails sold by my local supplier had larger heads on them. I suspect this is not a problem at all but I thoght I'd double check.

Don

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Standard modern roofing nail heads should not be a problem with your slate. There were lots of different types of nails used with slate over the past century, including cut nails, galvanized nails, iron nails, steel nails, and copper nails.

Mark Meinhart
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking for nail pullout requirements for a very steep (18/12) slate roof. Any suggestions on where I can find what the requirements are. 100 lbs of force or 200 lbs or 300 lbs etc.?

Jim K
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nail pull-out ratings are not really an issue in any slate roof app., AFAIK. The nails are loaded in shear when holding the slate, and there will be little to no axial tension on the nails, even on a vertical wall. If you are concerned about high wind, I suspect that if the winds are strong enough to lift a slate, the slate is already broken and the nail is irrelevant to the loss of the slate.

Remember that the slates are essentially "hanging" on the nails. For any roof, but especially steep pitch, be sure the substrate is adequate, the nail holes in the slate are not too large for the nail used, and that you are using an adequate nail for the application.

Hope this helps.

Jim K

Jamie callan
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regarding countersunk nails on slate: I installed my first slate roof in 2003 on a church steeple. The slate came pre-drilled and countersunk, however I had to make many new holes for the pieces along the hips. I did not countersink these, I only drilled them. The pitch was practically vertical, will the nail heads still have the same tendancy to rub the overlapping slate and deteriorate them? I used copper nails. Any feedback and criticism is welcome. JC

admin
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The steeper the pitch, the less likely the nailheads will affect the roof. Also, copper nails have thinner heads. I don't think you have much to worry about.

Joe

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration