Cracked copper Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Cracked copper « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cookie (Cookie)
Username: Cookie

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the panel are cleated, just locked and soldered no rivets, i was away , i will take pictures and try and post them tomorrow

John_chan (John_chan)
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You shouldn't need expansion joints on runs of 30' or less as long as the gutter is cleated in to allow for movement. Is the gutter cleated or nailed? Is it riveted and soldered, or locked and soldered? If it's locked and soldered, did you pre-tin the joints?

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 616
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 07:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How long are the pcs of copper, are they nailed in or do did you clip they in for exspanion.

Cookie (Cookie)

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the solder joints in the v

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 615
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 05:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it the seam solder seams that are cracked or is it the bend line in the V, that is cracked?

Cookie (Cookie)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

correction...the thirty ft run has 2 spouts

Cookie (Cookie)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

there is only one spout per run....the main house is 30 ft...and the smaller addition is 25...is that to much?

John_chan (John_chan)
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your gutter is cleated in, you can retrofit the expansion joints, as long as there's downspouts in the right places. Expansion joints are a must on copper gutters and larger copper roofs.

Cookie (Cookie)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i thought we did everything right...no joints though...but in only cracked in the "v" of the gutter....not going up the roof, under the slate, or where it was attached to the drip edge.....ill take some pictures today

Jimmyjim (Jimmyjim)
Intermediate Member
Username: Jimmyjim

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 06:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, I'd be really curious to know why it's cracked at only 5 yrs old and since I'm about to put on the same. Was it cleated? Expansion joints? Was anyone walking on it? Resting flat against the boards? I was wondering if snow and ice sliding down the roof could do this kind of damage--at least with mine it would hit it. I believe with the copper being that new you should be able to rivet new and solder, (someone with more experience should input about that) but better find out why it's happening in the first place.

Cookie (Cookie)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 01:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

im restoring an old house, i was originally working for the contractor, who is now long gone. We rebuilt all the gutters and lined them with lead coated copper, flat seamed an soldered....5 yrs later almost all seems in the v of the gutter are cracked....any ideas on how to repair?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration