Fine Homebuilding Houses issue 2002--... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Fine Homebuilding Houses issue 2002--slate i.d.? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I'm hoping to identify the type and color of the slate roof featured on the cover of Fine Homebuilding's Annual Houses issue, 2002 (No. 147). The home was built in the San Juan Islands by Dave and Robin Knight. Best guess--is this Vermont or foreign slate? The color looks like an unfading mottled purple/green in some pictures, more gray in others. We've decided to go with slate roofing on the home we are building, and I fell in love with this roof. The color choices available are, to say the least, dizzying, and I'd like to nail down the true color of this roof. We're placing an order soon, but I'm still undecided about color--leaning toward Vermont Royal Purple, but I don't want to end up with a pinkish roof later. Thanks for any input.

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a link to a picture of the house:

www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/pages/sph005_qtvr05.asp

Or, a search for "Houses 2002" will turn up the article, titled, "One House at a Time." Click on the virtual tour button for a good picture.

Thanks!

admin
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's hard to see in the photo, but it's definitely not Vermont royal purple (too much light color). Royal purple, or unfading purple, is all purple and stays all purple. It could be a Vermont "mottled green and purple" (the light color would be the green). Either one would never turn pinkish over time. They're both excellent slates and can be expected to last 150 years if the roof structure is built to last that long.

steve Taran Jr
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found this issue and this slate is some type of foreign it is not from vermont or the USA for that matter

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration