Replacing and Matching Pen Argyl Slates Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Replacing and Matching Pen Argyl Slates « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Don Reavey
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joe:
My Pen Argyl slates are about a hundred years old. They look much different than new Pen Argyl slate. I think I read in the Slate Roof Bible that this type of slate is not recyclable.

Therefore, would I be better off making repairs with new Pen Argyl slate which doesn't match by a long shot or should I try to find used Pen Argyl slate with white calcium deposits and rust spots to match but give up the longevity?

How long will it take for the new slate to weather and reasonably match the old slate?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would use the old slates. You can probably find older ones that are still in pretty good condition which will match your roof much better than new ones. It would take new ones many years to weather enough to blend in the the old ones.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration