Need help in justifying the cost. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Need help in justifying the cost. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pixlaw (Pixlaw)
Username: Pixlaw

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 08:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I second Olde Mohawk's advice about costing it out carefully. Even the best asphalt roof in the world will possibly be at the end of its useful life by the time you sell the house, which will drive the sale price down. So the question is whether you pay a lot once or less twice. To a certain extent one big factor in that calculation is how long a period over which you have to amortize the cost of the roof work. A second factor is the cost of the slate work versus the shingle work. You should definitely get a couple of estimates for the slate work. Your one estimate of $60K or $80K may be high.

Out where I am, there are slaters who charge Cadillac prices for Cadillac work, and then there are slaters who charge Maserati prices for Cadillac work. In both cases the work is great, but you pay twice as much to one guy than the other, for very similar work. So get some more estimates from slaters listed with this web site. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Chris (Chris)
Advanced Member
Username: Chris

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

{{ Is someone going to pay more for your house vs. the one next door if you have a new slate roof vs. a new asphalt roof?}}

The said truth is no.
We here, are the small minority that actually cares.
Nobody else gives a darn..:(

Chris (Chris)
Advanced Member
Username: Chris

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

{{ Is someone going to pay more for your house vs. the one next door if you have a new slate roof vs. a new asphalt roof?}}

The sad truth is no.
We here, are the small minority that actually cares.
Nobody else gives a darn..:(

(Message edited by chris on May 13, 2010)

Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration (Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration)
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are--obviously--many factors involved. The short answer, I think, is yes. Even if you live there for the next 25 years, it'll probably be time to replace the asphalt shingle roof when you go to sell. You'll eat the cost one way or another.

Asphalt shingle warranties mesh best with new construction homes that (generally) aren't cut up, and have soffit and ridge ventilation. Attic temps are critical, too. Many a slate roof in the NE is replaced by asphalt shingles that look like potato chips in ten years or less. And GAF, OC, and others will tell you to pound salt if the roofer doesn't follow the ventilation specs to a T.

Without a doubt, slate improves the value of the home. And it doesn't have to improve it $60k-$80k if asphalt shingles are half that. I guess it needs to correlate with a measured difference between the two. And, if you have to go through the cost and aggravation of roofing TWICE in 25 years, its a no-brainer.

http://www.info.wardhamilton.com/blog/bid/10625/Slate-Roofing-Going-Green-Never- Made-More-Sense

Whct (Whct)
Username: Whct

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will post some pics. What I'm getting at is the thought process that one goes through to make the decision to spend 60, 70, 80K, or more for a roof when they can shingle it for half or less than half. That's what I'm wrangling with. I'm not sure you get any of that $$ back on a sale. Is someone going to pay more for your house vs. the one next door if you have a new slate roof vs. a new asphalt roof?

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 604
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 06:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Feel free to e-mail direct if you would like another estimate to compare to!

It would be good to see picture like BSRoofing said.

Blue_sky_roofing (Blue_sky_roofing)
Username: Blue_sky_roofing

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Certainteed's Grand Manor / Carriage house are asphalt shingles that have a good 'slate like' appearance to them. But for that price, you might as well put on slate.
It sure would be nice if you could post some pics for us to critic (post your address and we can use Google Earth). How many squares is your roof, or the section that you want to do. Don't forget about the 'used slate' route. I (as well as others) have quite a few squares of used / salvaged slate that are so hard, you could put them up in Independence Hall and ring it like a bell (well - not really. But you know what I mean).

Whct (Whct)
Username: Whct

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, this is my first post.

I own a 1929 brick colonial in West Hartford CT with a slate roof. At the time of sale, I was told by a roofing contractor that some slates needed repair, etc, but overall the roof was OK. 3mos later, I was told by a real slater that I needed a new roof and he's right. The cost is obviously very high compared to an asphalt replacement. I live in a nice neighborhood, but not a $1.0million plus street. The adjoining street is a $1.0m street however. Some houses on my street have slate, most don't. A friend told me "You don't owe it to anyone on your street to replace with slate". At the same time, I know going with asphalt will completely change the look of the house. My slater has said he can be competitive due to market conditions and said to consider just doing the back of the house for now. At the end of the day I need help justifying spending more than double $$ for a roof. I'm 42 years old and I could be in this house for long time, but can't guarantee it. Thoughts are appreciated.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration