Box Gutter Help Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Box Gutter Help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 465
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not an expert at that, but why go thru the added expense of the stainless when you have the old Terne on the rest of it? If you were going to change everything, that would make sense to me, but since you are just going to patch an area it would seem like an added hassle and expense that is not going to benifit anyone!

Drsmith33 (Drsmith33)
Username: Drsmith33

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, I take it that riveting the patch would be alright?

Secondly, can you sweat terne coated Stainless to regular terne steel? Is it okay to do this?

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 464
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cleanliness is next to Godliness when working with old metals. You are going to have to take a angle grinder and wire wheel and buff it clean where ever you want to solder it. Hopefully it isn't so rusted or thin that you cut through it. I would use a brass wire wheel,a nd make sure and wear safety glasses. Crap tends to fly!

Drsmith33 (Drsmith33)

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slate

I am thinking of doing some more work on that house too. Good idea, though.

Can you just pop rivet the terne steel to the existing metal gutter and sweat it?

Thanks

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 603
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 05:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If its only three feet why buy a brake, go to a local sheet metal shop tell them what you need and they will make it, for a lot less.

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 542
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh - sorry - I thought you were replacing the entire gutter system. I'm on the road right now and only have time to scan the message boards. If it's only 3', then just use terne metal.

Drsmith33 (Drsmith33)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joe

The gutter that I am patching in was already done in terne coated steel about 20 years ago. I just have to build out and bend metal for a three foot section that had a chimney running up through it that I tore out. Can u sweat stainless to the regular terne coated steel?

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 539
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use 20 ounce copper or terne coated stainless steel. You can get a fairly inexpensive 4' brake at slateroofwarehouse.com (http://josephjenkins.com/store/hand-brake-tennsmith-s48-22.html). You can also get 20 ounce copper there as well as all the soldering stuff. You will have to install it in 4' sections unless you use a longer brake.

Drsmith33 (Drsmith33)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blue Sky

All of the rest of the gutter is good. I just have to reconnect where an old chimney went through box gutter. I do not want to put rubber on it.

Blue_sky_roofing (Blue_sky_roofing)
Username: Blue_sky_roofing

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you considered lining the box gutter with rubber membrane. I do this from time to time with great success and best of all - maintenance free!

Drsmith33 (Drsmith33)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, it is an old style wooden box gutter that is lined with terne coated steel. I have to bend the metal on the job. Trying to find out what gage metal to use.

Thanks anyways

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 463
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this an internal gutter, or a hung box gutter? How big do you want it? My Brother at Classic Gutters in Kalamazoo has a machine that will make a 7" box gutter. I know he has made it out of copper (20 oz.) and Aluminum and also steel. If it is a gutter that you want to hang from a fascia, you should give them a call. They can ship up to 26 foot pieces and that is normally long enough for most appplications. They also have all of the necessary accessories too.

Sorry for the lack of interest!

Drsmith33 (Drsmith33)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been trying to get someone out to my house in Cincinnati to bid on my box gutter job for a month, with no callbacks. Crazy!! So, I am going to attempt it myself.

What gage of terne coated steel do I use?

Where can I buy a not so expensive brake?

Thanks in advance!!

Don

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration