Bending slate trick Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Bending slate trick « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 462
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joe, I drank some of it a couple of times. Sounded neat! Also, at the University of Michigan football games, they would post the score of the Slippery Rock college football games. They kind of adopted them years back and the fans loved it!

There can't be that many "Slippery Rocks" out there!

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 537
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 02:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A little north of Slippery Rock is my neighborhood. If there is an unusual slate roof there, I should know about it.

Old School - how did you know about the beer??

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 461
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2010 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is that where they make the beer?

Blue_sky_roofing (Blue_sky_roofing)
Username: Blue_sky_roofing

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joe, unfortunatly I don't. It was on a house just a little north of Slippery Rock.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 457
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like it would work to me!~ Good idea!

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 533
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have a photo?

Blue_sky_roofing (Blue_sky_roofing)
Username: Blue_sky_roofing

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I only have done this once, but it turned out great:
The homeowner had a 'vertical ridge' (the equivalent of high rafter - or a change in the plane of the roof) at the point of an addition change, making the slate gap terribly and rock from side to side; and wanted me to 'remedy' it.

Step #1:
I used standard installation for the rows where slates would butt up against each other closest to the 'ridge' and lay fairly flat.

Step#2:
(The next row would have a slate that would rock side to side over the 'ridge' part of the roof as well as the butt sides of the previous row of slate). What I did is cut a piece of Al. trim sheet a little smaller than the size of slate I was using and installed it just like it was the next whole slate; bending it over the 'change in the roof plane'. Then I took a whole slate and cut in on the FACE side from top to bottom, at approx. right where the 'ridge' would be. I installed the 1 half over the Al., butted against the last whole slate. Then I took roof cement and scraped it up against the 'clean cut', and then installed the 2nd half of the slate with all the roof cement underneath and a perfect fit/match of the 'split' whole slate (this is the same basic procedure for roof cementing binders at the ridge, - only it is done every other row in this situation).

After it was all done and looking at it from the ground, all the slates where laying flat and looked like every other row had a 'bent' slate.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration