Greener unfading green Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Greener unfading green « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Greeny
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am about to put up 40 squares of slate. I would like to use Vermont unfading green. Are there some quarries that produce greener slates than others? Or is this slate rather uniform in color from location to location. Where would one go for a "Green" slate. and finally, is it a wise practice to use salvaged slate? Will it look more aged than new slate, will it last as long?

Peter
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 06:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Greeny,

I understand Vermont have a nice green slate, perhaps an even color would be going against the natural look of a slate roof.

Salvaged slate can be as good as newly quarried slate, the color difference can often be dependent on the local environment.

For example a slate in a country area will never have been subjected to the acid rain of a city slate.

A lot of the beauty of natural slate is derived from the slight different shades, it's what seperates the natural from a man made product.

Beauty being in the eye of the beholder I would prefer the differences in colour of natural slate
but that's just my opinion.

Kind regards,

Peter Crawley, M.I.o.R.

www.crawleyroofing.com

Greeny
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 06:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the response Peter. I am talking about "Vermont unfading Green", and I'm not looking for a uniform color. I agree with you that the beauty of slate is in it's irregularities. I have a small sample of "vermont unfading green" and it looks gray to me. I was just wanting to know is there some that is greener than others.

johnchan
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, some unfading greens are more green than others. We carry all the different shades as well as salvaged unfading green. You can look us up at www.durableslate.com or call us at (800)666-7445.

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or check http://www.jenkinsslate.com/newslate.html

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration