Slating sequence question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slating sequence question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 438
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You've got it! The old slate looked like the softer Pennsylvania slate and that does get to be a bit flakey when it gets old. It will absorb water and breaks really easy and like you say, it is a dirty mess to take off. The one good thing is that you will have a hard time cutting yourself on it because there are no more sharp corners.

Jimmyjim (Jimmyjim)
Intermediate Member
Username: Jimmyjim

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 08:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's great. Thank you both for your help. My slates are salvaged Buckingham 14x20 with no random.

I guess the problem with that one slate could be solved by putting the valley flashing on a bit later. I was thinking that had to go on 1st. after felt. I'll just leave out the last slates in each row for the dormer and finish that off when I do the main roof. Kind of like what is shown in the Slate Roof Bible regarding valley replacement. That'd work right?

Man what a mess taking off that slate! Just breaking into dust.

Thanks again for your help.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 437
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jimm, If the slates you are using are random widths, you can start at any place you want: middle or either end. The lines you have to chalk will have to be for the coursing and that is determined by the size of the slates you are using.

At least you have a concept of a chalkline. Maybe a tape measure too! A lot of the "roofers" out there have never used either. You are ahead of the curve. Good luck!

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 532
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On hip roofs, you would start in the center. On gable roofs, at the end. I would remove all slates, felt the roof, then start chalking from the bottom. When you get to the dormer, chalk it too. If the valley is open, the courses don't have to line up.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 436
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have the right idea! If you want to, you could probably leave that slate there and just slate to it. It has never been exposed to any weather and is so far beneath everything that it probably wouldn't show anyway. Just a thought!

Jimmyjim (Jimmyjim)
Intermediate Member
Username: Jimmyjim

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello. I'm reslating my house for the 1st. time and will be removing and replacing one side at a time. While I was removing I saw a slate that was under the dormer where it meets the deck and this slate is nailed underneath the valley flashing.
At 1st. my thinking was that I would remove all slates and start to tarpaper while adding my nailers to the hip and ridge including the dormer.

I would then attach a triangular shaped scaffold that will allow me to access the front of the dormer which is hard to get at.
I would then add copper flashing to valley with rosin paper underneath, and start slating (finally) the dormer.
Then remove the dormer scaffold and start at the bottom of the roof adding my copper to my V shaped built in and then slate up to the ridge.

But then there's that slate..........

Am I supposed to figure out where that slate(s) will be and have it (them) in place as my 1st. step by means of a chalkline? (which I intend to do anyway.)

Sure hope that makes sense.

Just one more question.
Does it make sense to start slating at the center point and work out as opposed to starting on the end?

Thanks- and below is a link that shows the slate(s) that I'm speaking about. I have a few ideas about how I can make it work, but I want to make sure I start correctly instead of guessing.

http://gallery.me.com/jgodish#100088&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=0

Jim

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration