Gap above the fascia board and squirrels Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Gap above the fascia board and squirrels « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jimmyjim (Jimmyjim)
Username: Jimmyjim

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm. Don't know if it would help or not, but I also added peanut butter to the bottom of the platter trapping mechanism and it always worked. Put it somewhere near the center bottom, where it's hard for them to get at. Also if it helps push wood or something up on the sides so they cant use their little hands to get at it. Yes, it's PVC (I believe). I'm using for the facia on my soffit and like it a lot. Cuts nice too, just don't breathe it in. Someone else may have a better idea here regarding that.

Mahnrut (Mahnrut)
Username: Mahnrut

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jimmyjim for this. I will look into non-wood material more - I knew about engineered wood (LP siding) but I think that tuff board is pvc isn't it? How does that hold up compared to wood although as you say it might be more difficult for the critters to chew. They are pretty crafty at evading our efforts at trapping them - taking the food and setting off the trap after they have left. We have two sizes and have added weights to the food bar in case they were too light, wrapped the cages so they don't put their arms in to get the food etc. but they are still smarter than us!

Jimmyjim (Jimmyjim)
Username: Jimmyjim

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I were replacing any facia board, I'd use a product like tuff board to replace it. That's just my two cents. They'll chew right through new wood if they want to get in there. Though he is right about the gap. Tried mothballs and the thing built a nest right near them, so don't bother with that. Oil of peppermint seems to be working (at the moment). Relocate those squirrels and trap with peanut butter in the meantime so you get rid of the one's that like to stay in your attic. Good luck. I would think there would be a little gap caused by the cant strip anyway.

Mahnrut (Mahnrut)
Username: Mahnrut

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have a long time squirrels-in-the-attic problem and this year we want to tackle it. We have a finished attic (2 rooms and a bathroom) in a house with an original 1930s slate roof. Trapping the animals while not easy is one thing but of course to deter future would-be residents we will need to cover up the entry holes. Our roofer told us yesterday when we asked about holes that there are about 10 holes in the fascia board (he is an animal lover - feeds feral cats etc. so never mentioned it before!). He says that there is about a 1 1/2" gap above the fascia board and he suggests taking off the gutters and putting up a new fascia board without this gap which he says they enlarge to get in. I asked him if the roof was built that way for ventilation purposes and he said he had never seen it before. He has done slate roofs for years but I would like to confirm that it would be OK to install the new fascia board right up to the roof edge. The roof is totally original and has no ventilation such as gable vents or any soffits. Also any more suggestions for anti squirrel measures would be appreciated. Thanks very much for any help.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration