How do you know when your ready Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » How do you know when your ready « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 441
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With all of the different minds working here, it is interesting how many different solutions we can come up with. Try all of them and see which one works best for any potential problem.

Braymer (Braymer)
Username: Braymer

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know some dont agree with this, but I had great luck by grinding a tighter V in the notches on the ripper.. On my Storz ripper the hooks are TOO wide and just grab the head - and break it off , by making a tighter V notch with a file/grinder- it actually grabs the nail shaft and pulls it out by squeezing it a little, it does NOT cut the nail like some here thought. It has worked for me great on the last bunch of roofs with a super hard deck and old nails.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 429
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No problem!

Bstinelli (Bstinelli)
Username: Bstinelli

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

old school brilliant idea cutting the nails with all the framing ive done you would think i would have though of it sheesh thanks again

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 428
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The nails have to be flush with the surface so that they won't strain the new slate going on. I have heard of people using a "samuri" blade on a saws-all to cut them off, it a slate ripper won't do the job. If the old decking is a hardwood, you may have to predrill it so that the nails will go in. For years they used steel nails, and you may get by with a hot dipped galvanized nail if that is easier. I use slate hooks most of the time, but a HD galvanized nail and a copper bib will work fine too.

Bstinelli (Bstinelli)
Username: Bstinelli

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 02:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ill second that its hard to determine what the slate is and where to get it i think thats harder than the work itself...one other thing im fixing some slate now...and the deck is really old some kinda hardwood... ill be damned but every copper nail i pull is popping the heads off... is there a better way i try pulling more slate above but 90 percent of the time the nail heads come off i was wondering if i was to slide a larger big in over the cut nail than slide the slate in as usual is this ok because its really killing me nails seem quality and i know the decking is 90 years old super hard and dry even jacking with 16s is rough

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 398
Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds good! Welcome again!

Bud (Bud)
Username: Bud

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the response 'Old School', I appreciate the welcome and the 'permission' to ask questions which I will take to heart.

As for slate identification, that's been fun so far. I am going to hurt my neck or wreck the truck gawking at it all now. I figure the best bet will be get a piece that is broken out or remove a piece and temporarily close the roof, photograph the whole roof and begin the search. In the early days of using other 'new' materials this has been the learning process and I assume it will work here. The big difference is having this forum to lean on.

SRCA....I will very likely join up just as soon as I feel more confident and the snow melts so I can make a buck or two.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 396
Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like you have already jumped in! Congratulations. I know you can read and to read Joe's book and understand it is a great leap forward. Most "roofers" never bother to ask, because they already know. Go for it and don't be afraid to ask questions of us because we have all been there already. There are some very talented people on this forum.

I believe that you know how to repair slate now, but the hardest thing is going to be getting the right slate for the repairs that you do. ASK, and also use the services of some of the companies here that deal a lot with used slate. Kind of hard to beat. It is NOT rocket science, but you have to care and follow thru.

Hey, join the SRCA, that would be a great place to learn more.

Bud (Bud)
Username: Bud

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First post gentleman, I have been in the roofing biz since 1996. I have avoided slate because to me it was like the holy grail and I didn't feel that I was worthy. Over that period of time I passed up work and watched others butcher beautiful roofs. The evolution of my company has led me to a place where it seems I am most needed by homeowners and commercial property owners..the roof repair business. Neanderthals don't just work on slate!
My position is this, I have read the Slate Bible (thank you Joe, very helpful as we all know), I have read and studied all these years other material from which I have learned what I know and understand now to be the 'simple truths' of roofing which I have applied to roofing with other material. Well...now it's getting close to the time where I would like to reply...yes I repair slate....so gentlemen, how do you know when it's okay to take on the job and get paid for it. I have worked on a few, I have a few to repair locally that I will not charge for, my payment being the additional experience.
So the big question is, how do I measure my skill, my knowledge and when will 'I' know in my heart that it is time to call myself a 'slate roofer'

Thank you, I await your offerings.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration