Slots or gaps between slate shingles Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slots or gaps between slate shingles « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Branden_wilson (Branden_wilson)
Username: Branden_wilson

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

modern american homes are built like crap. i like to use a small gap between slates to allow for the home to "shift" without breaking slate. i have seen slates that were once tight, overlapping a bit on the sides from movement. on a historic home i wouldn't be as concerned.

REAL SLATER

Tinner666 (Tinner666)
Username: Tinner666

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like 1/4" as a rule. I like to be able to see into the keyways when looking over an install, or seeking a cracked slate.
Butted together is fine, but nearly impossible to fine a cracked slate.

Slate Roof Repairs, Richmond, Va.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 387
Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably because there isn't one. You can lay them tight if you want to and it won't hurt anything. You can also lay them with a gap so that they are 1/4 inch apart without hurting anything. If you are trying to line the joints up, somethimes this will make it easier if the slates are not all exactly the same size. Allow for the biggest slate and gap them accordingly! I like the random widths myself, but you can still spread them a bit without hurting anything. There are some specs for slate that spread the slate out quite a bit so that the roof can ventilate the space below and it also makes the roof lighter. Go figure!

Make sure and get the correct headlap and install them according to the principles in the slate bible and you will be fine. If you take care of the basics. the medium is very forgiving.

Mcleanra (Mcleanra)
Username: Mcleanra

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have not been able to find guidelines for the minimum slot or gap size between slate shingles in the literature on slate roofs.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration