Underbid Again Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Underbid Again « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 362
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like the one with the slates that are "broken" on the bottoms. I did one like that years ago. Very neat looking.

Tinner666 (Tinner666)
Username: Tinner666

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If anybody checked my link in the earlier post before 7:20PM, Eastern, you need to go back and refresh it. I just updated that page a bit.

Slate Roof Repairs, Richmond, Va.
<A HREF="http://www.albertsroofing.com" TARGET="_blank">Slate Roof Repairs, Richmond, Va.</A>

Tinner666 (Tinner666)

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would hate to see this form of roofing outlawed. These are pretty roofs.

Pictures were too big. i have some on my site though, here. http://www.albertsroofing.com/Slate%20Roofing%20Pictures.htm
The first roof pictured has bottom slate that measure 30"x36"x 1-1/2" Up top, only about 9 x 14, if I remember correctly. Not likely to forget the bottom ones though.

(Message edited by tinner666 on January 03, 2010)
<A HREF="http://www.albertsroofing.com" TARGET="_blank">Slate Roof Repairs, Richmond, Va.</A>

Tinner666 (Tinner666)

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I could supply some pix. Something went south!

(Message edited by tinner666 on January 03, 2010)

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 360
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe that is what is needed; a "book" with pictures of what NOT to do on a slate roof.

Tinner666 (Tinner666)

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been gearing my website for this argument and have 1-2 links to Joe's site. We should all have our sites interlocked with links. I also linked to our friends in Belgium. I need to start coping, with proper credit given, some of Joe's comments and teachings, and some of youse guy's other comments.
Maybe educational commentary of pages of our sites, and links to other's commentary? Do you all have sites? If not, I can help out there with lower prices. (Sorry for advertising Joe, but I'm also a GDaddy/WildWest Reseller) But I'm reachable by phone to anybody needing help.

Branden_wilson (Branden_wilson)
Username: Branden_wilson

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i agree tinner, the codes here are very strict but it's not helping at all. every slate roof goes through 5 inspections before it's finaled but all of the roofers never should be passing these inspections. once you're in, you're in... the inspectors NEVER inspect the big guys. they pull up, you run the 50 page permit out to them and they sign it from their car. meanwhile permits cost in the thousands here to "protect" homeowners from this type of behavior. but the small guys get inspected with a microscope. kind of a mafia type thing here really. when i bring photos to homeowners to show them their roofer has not only ruined their roof but violated code in the process, i always get shooed away with anger. even more so when i bring those photos into the building department. i make calls, send letters and emails to tallahassee on the subject and i get nothing. really frustrating.

many folks wanna live in a police state but this is always open to severe corruption. the guys who own the biggest companies and who manufacture products like roof cement are the ones sitting on these boards deciding what becomes "code". when i was selling metal roofs (big mistake) i had to deal with these crooks all the time. like this city coral springs wouldn't allow metal on anything residential. people were on 1 to 2 year waiting lists for concrete tile and metal was selling fast because it was available. turns out the one guy in coral springs who kept turning metal down owned one of the only ACCEPTED concrete tile plants. hmmmm? oh yeah and we are only allowed to install miami dade approved products here as well and many good products don't have the coin to get that kind of approval. buckinghams, welsh, ncb, forget about it! all illegal products in south florida. and i must clarify SOUTH florida, to all the folks who have been to disney world and think all of florida is like orlando. south florida is like new york city. palm beach, broward and dade counties. the rest of the state has more relaxed regulations.

btw there was an explosion of metal roofing here 5yrs ago which has all but died thanks to them severely fading and failing already. my friends who only do clay are having the same trouble. many of their "old school" techniques for installing the hand bent tiles are being outlawed. the big guys are now taking roofs that were once mortar set and replacing the mortar with spray foam (just like great stuff).

these foam clowns came to town and blamed all of the concrete tile failures on the mortar and started selling the crap out of their foam. now the foam roofs are having all kinds of problems and we haven't even had a tropical storm! good luck trying to get the truth out there though, we don't have millions invested in our products and billionaire partners, they shut us up REAL quick every time!

it's like trying to stop a walmart from coming to town. most of the public is so ignorant that all they see is the sales pitch, the personal convenience. they still don't even realize these stores devastate our economy when that is clear FACT. so not only do you have the paid off goons in the high places, you've got a dumbed down public that's begging to get screwed!

i don't know the answers, i'm still trying to find a handful of folks to help fight these battles rather than be a part of the problem but no one seems to care about the big picture. one thing's for sure though, giving more power over to the people who sell us everything is not wise.

i believe we need to focus on educating the dumbed down public with FACTS. number one we can lead by example by not buying from the big boxes, not selling their products, and certainly not installing them. if we could unite as slaters and stop sleeping with the enemy i believe we could bring back a little demand for not only just slate but slaters too. this may not give us the short term satisfaction we are so used to but it will improve the big picture for us and future generations and me personally, i'm just gettin started so i look at a big picture and so do my children. it's very unfortunate the past generations have sold out our trade, but instead of saying " if you can't beat em, join em", we can stop perpetuating the madness and get our trade back!

FREEEEEEEEEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/REALSLATER

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 496
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The problem with codes and slate roofs is that slate can be installed in many different ways - mixed widths, mixed lengths, mixed thicknsses, mixed colors, mixed everything, German style, American style, Italian style, British style, Roman style, on battens, lath or boards, or worse, with or without underlayment, with many different types of ridges, hips, flashing styles, etc., etc. It's an art, which is hard to compartmentalize into a building code. It would be more important that we make sure codes don't restrict us by forcing us to limit slate roof installations to something we don't want to do (like plywood with peel and stick, to name just one).

The people who hire the roofers who don't know what they're doing will pay dearly and deserve it. The bigger problem is what these installers are doing to the slate roof industry by screwing up slate roof installations. It's ruining the reputation of slate roofs.

Tinner666 (Tinner666)

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hate for gov to set any codes. look at Fla. You don't even need flashing there. Just go to any shingle, tile, or slate jobsite there and be sure to have more roof cement than tile, shingles, or slate.
It has nothing to do with craftsmanship and weeding the hacks. They're trying to dumb everything down.

Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration (Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration)
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the irony ... this roof work would not violate code if it was in NY state! Screwy, ain't it?

The building codes specific to slate roof coverings need to be augmented or enhanced to ensure that proper installation occurs or that those who fail to meet standards are penalized. Consider NY State's code:

http://publicecodes.citation.com/st/ny/st/b400v07/st_ny_st_b400v07_9_sec005_par0 43.htm

Other than requiring headlap, min 15" wide valleys and two nails, not much else is required. But when you look at the code for asphalt shingles, the detail is greater as well as the requirement specific to manufacturers' installation instructions. And these instructions are VERY detailed.

No such instructions exist for slate.

Without knowing for sure, I will speculate that building codes and enforcement of same evolved AFTER slate's heyday. Hence, code is sparce. Reference to the NSA's "Slate Roofs" (1926; 2009) in a pitch to beef up code may be the right angle.

So, I guess the question is:

If one were to lobby for enhanced codes, what would be the universal standards that would be included in the language?

Or might a better approach be to get "Slate Roofs" anointed as THE standard (vis-a-vis, "the manufacturers instructions") ???

Then, when a roof is installed improperly, code enforcement officers can be directed to violations by knowledgable slaters, homeowners, etc?

And, is this an undertaking for the NSA? SRCA? Both?

[I'm also going to post this under a new thread -WAH]

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 556
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 06:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tinner, nice.
I think that Joe need to get all of are picture and make a new Slate Bible Mistake Book. People unreal.

Also you can see by gaping the slate you will end up not using a must slate.

Tinner666 (Tinner666)

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was underbid on to jobs. I didn't that know at first though. I was called to the one I had given a price for and while waiting on the porch, I looked at the one next door I had bid on.

As you can see somebody else got and did the job.

Wehn the door was answered, I was told that their local roofer had left them with some issues. Anyway, my new price was higher than my old one, and I wasn't allowed to take any pictures of their home.

I was called to another recently by male.
I was able to point out 7-8 areas in 2 minutes that he confirmed were leaking. As I was looking up from the ground and talking about the cemented areas, and the flat roof tie-in that I could see from the ground, A lady pulled up.
She demanded to know why I was there. The guy said it was to fix the roof. She started screaming she had a regular roofer working on it and he had been there just a few months ago. And she was happy with him and not about to change to me! " My regular roofer fixes my roof 2-3 times a year! Now Git!"

I had a heck of a time not laughing in her face. I held it together until I pulled away.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration