Unfading Black S-1 Roof Slate--Your p... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Unfading Black S-1 Roof Slate--Your personal choice « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

China_ad_slate (China_ad_slate)
Username: China_ad_slate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 03:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We own 3 quarries in Shanxi province, China. Mr. Jenkins knows roofing slate produced in Shanxi are pure black. And Water asbsorption and acid resistance is good. These two factors decide the service life of roofing slate. ADSLATE can show the test report to prove that their roofing slate passed ASTM S1 and passed EN 12326 achieving T1 S1 A1. Pls visit www.cnslate.com Or contact nancy@adslate.net directly. Many questions can be solved.
Nancy Rao

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 511
Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

3/16" slates has been the standard in the US for a century.

Branden_wilson (Branden_wilson)
Username: Branden_wilson

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i'm used to working with 1/2" slates on average. the only 1/4" slates i've installed were salvaged buckinghams and they were unbelievably strong. the ncb's i installed were more like 3/8" thick and just as strong as the buckinghams. i preffer thicker slates and i feel roof load capability is often under estimated. i know the guys up north are much more used to working with thinner slates though and probably have better advise backed up with more experience.

REAL SLATER

Marc (Marc)
Username: Marc

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would all of you comment on using 3/16" slate in say North Country Black. Does a thinner slate cause any problems with installation breakage, or longevity of the material for the roof?? I think I will require less of a roof load for my building to support, but am uncertain that a thinner slate might be weaker. Please give me your thought. Thanks.

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

some slates are just a bit thicker on one end and thinner on the other. when that's the case, you wanna make sure to use the thicker end as your bottom. this is very common with chinese slates, not so much with domestics.
http://www.youtube.com/user/REALSLATER

Westone (Westone)
Username: Westone

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 01:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have this unfading S-1 black roof slate, WEI-408B westone black slate, this slate output is very small. http://www.westones.com/roofingslate/wei-408b.htm
Biggest manufacturer and supplier of Chinese roofing slate with controlling 1/4 resource of dark color

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 364
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just turn it end for end!

If it is not punched, either end is the top! I have used them in valleys before (unpunched) for that reason. You can flip them!

Marc (Marc)

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for your suggestions on unfading black slate. I have one side question you might help me with. If you order any dimention slate and request it to be unpunched, how do you tell which is the top and which is the bottom of the slate??? I know the back seems smoother, but how do you tell the head from the bottom on the side facing the sky? Thanks in advance.

Epl (Epl)
Advanced Member
Username: Epl

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In regard to some of the better true unfading blacks slates that we use (and offer), I would recommend North Country Black, Buckingham Blue-Black, and CUPA. Reasons being all three are true non-fading black, all are S-1, and all are readily available at decent investment amounts and lead times.

Eric P. Loema
Sales | Salvage | Procurement
P (800) 699-5695 | F (815) 547-1425
Web: www.TileandSlateSales.com | E-mail: epl@TileandSlateSales.com

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 495
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welsh, North Country (from the Glendyne quarry), and some Spanish black slates (Franvisa, for example, and some CUPA) are all good. A lot of people like VT black too, although they may fade to some extent to a brownish hue. And don't forget Buckingham. They may not be as black, but they can be top notch.

Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration (Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration)
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 06:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Call DJ Boone at Hilltop Slate (518.642.1453) ... they have imported Welsh slate sitting right out in front of their office building/first shed. Can't think of an 'unfading' black with a more proven track record to refer to. Don't know how price compares to NCBlack.

Marc (Marc)

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr Jenkins, do you have any favorite unfading black slate that you prefer that is S-1 or better. I have samples of NC unfading black and they seem to be of high quality. Any others??

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 548
Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 05:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also find NorthCB slate, to be a very nice slate. The quarry is new, so the produce has no real proven track record! You needs to tell them unfading, there is some brown that comes out, sometimes.

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, January 01, 2010 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

for me it's by far north country black. get some samples and compare.
http://www.youtube.com/user/REALSLATER

Marc (Marc)

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, January 01, 2010 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please give me your personal choices for an unfading S-1 black roof slate. There are several quarrys and manufacturers out there, but which one is your personal pick, and if you have several reasons why please inform me. Thanks in advance!!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration