Old slate roof on concrete deck Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Old slate roof on concrete deck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stewart
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking for information on how to replace a slate roof on a concrete deck. The current slate is nailed into the deck and has been damaged. If replacement is required, what can I specify for the attachment of the new slate and what can be specified for underlayment? Roof slope is 8:12 and the roof os 60-100 yrs. old. Thank you.

Peter
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stewart,

That is a roof I would love to see, are you sure the slates are nailed into the concrete deck and not into timber laths that were set into a sand / cement screed on a concrete deck ?.

With all the technology available today the only method I can think of is use a masonary drill bit and use expanding plugs and screws into the concrete.

Honestly I've stripped roofs in excess of 200 years old that were held in place with oak pegs but I have never yet seen a slate nailed into a concrete deck.

Regards,

Peter Crawley, M.I.o.R.

www.crawleyroofing.com

slateworks
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the slate roof is removed and a new slate roof is to be installed you may want to use Ice & water shield for your base,it will require a concrete primer so the adhesive on this membrane would adhere to the concrete,or you could install 30# felt secured with tube lock fasteners(simplex style) or the felt could be held in place while you install new Batten boards over the concrete deck that the new slate would be nailed to. How are the slate fastened to the concrete? You may be able to find a similiar type fastener - is the current deck a form of Lightwieght concrete,or is it Gypsum Decking (another type of lightwieght material,When this material gets wet for a long period of time it is very tough to repair).. How much damage has occured ? Could the slate just be replaced that are damaged?. First you need to identify the decking and how the current slate are fastened and if the Slate roof is in good enough condition to repair only the damaged areas.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration