Castle Metal Products - TopSlate Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Castle Metal Products - TopSlate « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Daniel Ernst
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone every used the TopSlate product?

Apparently, CMP makes two versions:

1) Larger version allows 12" slates to be clamped into position, hiding a majority of the ridge metal.

2) Smaller version does not use slates, looks more like a typical metal ridge roll, but larger in profile.

I'm thinking about using the smaller version, to ventilate a "cold roof." The unit appears to be well designed and is available in various metals (Al, Cu, 304SS). They avoid nailing the flange by using a top clamp system.

I'm concerned that the higher profile will prevent maintenance of the roof (i.e. securing a ladder hook over the ridge).

In a similar vein, if the clay ridge tiles are popular in Europe - and they are used on most tile roofs - then how do they accomplish routine repair / service? Are there other techniques, or is it simply more difficult?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Daniel,

I am familiar with the systems used in Ireland and the UK.

The majority of ridge finishes are ridge tiles bedded in mortar or sand / cement mix, the same detail applies for slate and tile (concrete or clay) roofs.

The ridge tiles can be fired clay or concrete, some use a fibre cement ridge nailed on fibre cement slates (asbestos cement).

Servicing the roofs are no more difficult than most US systems I have seen, in fact easier than setting a roof ladder against a nailed on slate acting as a ridge.

I would have to see more than the CMP web site before I could offer a reliable opinion, perhaps my conservative ways of working would say no to a system that looks like an extended roof.

When we fit a ridge tile it is designed to overlap the top slates by four inches, sitting snug to the roof as opposed to sitting "off the roof".

I think the major difference to the way we service a roof is we use a bigger hook on our roof ladders.

The larger hook allows the ladder to sit over the ridge tile while the front is longer and extends below the ridge tile.

Kind Regards,

Peter Crawley, M.I.o.R.

www.crawleyroofing.com

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration