Opinion/identification on salvaged sl... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Opinion/identification on salvaged slate please- « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jimmyjim (Jimmyjim)
Username: Jimmyjim

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone. I think if I end up putting in some type of pattern I may use a different colored slate (red?) thereby omitting the shadow mark problem altogether. Oh, and my pitch is 10.5X12.

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 497
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I use salvaged slates, I tend to increase the headlap a little more than the original in order to cover the weather marks. It makes a much cleaner looking roof.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 363
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 08:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liam, you are correct, but IF the slates are all laid the same, the "old" markings will make a pattern and it will all look the same when it is applied. If that is the "look" that they are after is the other question. Nothing wrong with the slate though, just the look.

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 558
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 06:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shadow will last a long time. You would be better to change the pattern to new slate with out shadow marks.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 361
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As long as they are all the same, it should not make any difference at all. They will just have more "character"

Tinner666 (Tinner666)
Username: Tinner666

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cut a couple and try it out on the ground. Might not be an issue. You don't want to cut too much anyway. The line will fade after a few years. You're talking a 100+ year roof, so what's a few early years in the overall scheme of things. How close to them will observers be? Eye-level at 3'? Of 2 stories and 40'?

"My pitch is 10 3/8 per ft." Are you saying 10-1/2" x 12? (Rounded it a bit)

Slate Roof Repairs, Richmond, Va.
<A HREF="http://www.albertsroofing.com" TARGET="_blank">Slate Roof Repairs, Richmond, Va.</A>

Jimmyjim (Jimmyjim)

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Tinner666 appreciate the comments as well as your website. My pitch is 10 3/8 per ft. I had wanted to cut a design in the slate 1/2 way up the roof, with fishscale, then back to uncut, but I assume it wont look too good with the line showing underneath since it's a salvaged slate and will show the previously unseen side where it is cut. Probably best to leave it alone-

Tinner666 (Tinner666)

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Holes are fine and so is 3" headlap. I recenlty did a 3/12 pitch with 4" headlap. The pix are posted on this forum, by me.

<A HREF="http://www.albertsroofing.com" TARGET="_blank">Slate Roof Repairs, Richmond, Va.</A>

Jimmyjim (Jimmyjim)

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whew! Thank you again-I was thinkin' they looked like shingles too-

David_spradlin (David_spradlin)
Username: David_spradlin

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walter is right, unless the slope is unusually low, you won't have any problems.

Walter_musson (Walter_musson)
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should have said nice slate shingles !!

Post Number: 177
Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim,
Theres nothing wrong with where the nail holes are located .
Use a 3" headlap and you'll be fine .
I think they look like shingles .

Jimmyjim (Jimmyjim)

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that Tinner666. I now see how the water tracked right to those nails. Hope I didn't make a mistake buying this slate. If I line up the holes to the top of the underlying slate for nailing, I end up with a whopping 6.5" headlap with 5" exposure. It would then just cover the nail. I have a link to the pic below. Does this mean the original nail holes should have been higher or that it was meant to be put down with that much headlap?

http://gallery.me.com/jgodish#100067/DSC_3288&bgcolor=black

Thanks,
Jim

Tinner666 (Tinner666)

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, January 01, 2010 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Buckingham installed with the wrong headlap. Water tracks right into the nail holes. If you use them, don't use the same exposure they were originally set at.

Jimmyjim (Jimmyjim)

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's great. Thanks.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 338
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like Walter said

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like Buckingham to me .

Jimmyjim (Jimmyjim)

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. Just got 13 sq. of this slate and was wondering what your opinion is along with a possible identification. Apparently 40 yrs. old and taken off of a church in Mechanicsville, PA. Shot a movie of it here:

http://sharing.theflip.com/session/9589cc0997b246df5272dc9d553c89b4/video/846085 2

or some pics here: 1st. pic is the backside.

http://gallery.me.com/jgodish#100052&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Thanks for your help-
Jim

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration