Proudly announcing the next gen of RE... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Proudly announcing the next gen of REAL slaters « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Braymer (Braymer)
Username: Braymer

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This view is all ice and snow now, the tropics sound pretty good to me today. Last week was the first day week it got to zero degrees. I am nailing along and mindlessly put 2 nails in my mouth ( an old bad habit). Well they stuck there for a while, I had copper in my mouth for 20 minutes until they unstuck.
.Luckilly I lined up some inside work -timberframing (still learning that too) for a master carpenter up this way for 2 months in his shop. So I think I am OK until it thaws again. (March).
--The ones who start young are the lucky ones I think. They will be prepared with instinct and common sense and no one will have them by the gigglies. Wish we had the Apprentice/Journeyman Tradition here like they still do in Germany and France. And the stronger regulations regarding preservation and development. Evry dam hill here has an ugly vinyl house on it now it seems..

Branden_wilson (Branden_wilson)
Username: Branden_wilson

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

breathtaking photo eric, the tropics are nice but i sure do miss that type of scenery.
http://www.youtube.com/user/REALSLATER

Braymer (Braymer)

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yessir! Holstein heifers. My favorite jobs are out in the middle of nowhere by myself like this. Fixing holes and leaks, preserving old well build places and getting people to keep slate on their roofs.
I prefer to work alone, dont have a license, dont need one yet, mostly repairs like this out in the sticks. Eventually, I got a job on a 3 story roof on Main St in a village, I am up there and one little nail went over the edge down to the sidewalk. That got me thinking, what if I drop a slate and it takes someones head off down there.. Sure, I can give them everything I have , but that wouldnt be enough. So I finished that day and got shopping for insurance, it was awful expensive, but I felt I should get it and it feels more responsible, just another business expense.
I dont really see anyone disrespecting you here, you come off as pretty agressive I think. These guys here ARE slaters and should be listened to, they taught me alot in these last 2 years.. You have lots of energy which is needed for slating. Can I buy some of your energy?,, I need more up here.
This should be a team or meetingplace for people to unite- learn and preserve the trades, not rant and bitch about all sorts of little stuff.
Please do more videos of the young guy slating that really cheers me up. Merry Christmas..
One more photo of my office (usually when I am lucky)

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 334
Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Agreed; Why don't you just post all of the wonderful pictures of the work that you do. I am impressed by that...totally! Give everything else some time and don't criticize those of us that do the business side of things differently than you. We can get along just fine.

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

all i hear is blah blah blah. i said i wan gone argue anymore. i'm not trying to break the laws. my point is always missed. you'd be even more confused when you find out how legit i really am! besides i don't have a problem with you. let's just agree to disagree.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 333
Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Branden, for gosh sakes, we are not your enemy! The licensing regulations are an ATTEMPT by those that don't know anything else to protect the bank's interests in most of the houses that we work on. The insurances are NEEDED because of all of the people that are not being responsible for their own actions. For instance, how can you make a "corporation" pay for anything? It is just a piece of paper in a file in a state office somewhere. IF a corporation makes a "mistake" and somone gets hurt or there are damages, the only way to enforce justice is monetarily and that comes through insurance. If you were working for a contractor and fell off the roof and were hurt, who would pay your expenses? Who would take care of your family? INSURANCE WOULD! Soneones!!! They would just keep going back until they found someone with deep pockets and that is who would pay. Welcome to the real world.

Does this make you bad or me bad? No, but it doesn't make us good or noble either. Obtaining a license doesn't make you competent, but it doesn't make you incompetent either.

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks man, i know it may not seem like it but i have an overwhelming amount of respect for my elders. most of these guys are enemies to our trade and i still tried to fake respect but i just can't take it anymore. it's like watching these clowns in the guberment bankrupt our country, dissolve our constitution and sell out our identity. they're our enemies but they front as our representatives. it's my immaturity when i express my anger but regardless, the truth is the truth. we're gonna see the results of our political foolishness real soon and i think it's clear we're already seeing the results of our elders compromising our skilled trades. look how i'm the only slater here and getting disrespected cause im not a licensed contractor. well i thought i was logging on to slate roof central not roofing contractor central. i respect my elders who teach and inspire but not the ones who are condescending and selling out. i'm not gonna argue with these guys on this site anymore though, that's about the best i can do without being fake. thanks for the positive comments about the video, my son's really proud and can't wait to make another one! good job on the slate roof, i love to see slate on "normal" buildings not just mcmansions.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 332
Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are those Holsteins?

Braymer (Braymer)

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey- What a cool video. Now thats what I like to see, start them young. They say those in the real trades are those who will survive when the dollars mean nothing in the future.
I still look to the old guys for guidance though - they have seen things we have not. Respect for elders is important even when in disagreement., I have a guy up here still doing Slate at 63 and no signs of slowing down, also recently had a 74 year old set up a 40 foot ladder while still talking to me and not blink an eye. ......
Here is a photo of one of my better jobs this fall, my audience was happy and they did not eat any nails.. Merry Christmas - Here is to learning and teaching the traditional trades forever ..

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

here's a video my 7yr old son made about how to cut a piece of roofing slate. seems like all the old fogies have gotten soft in their old age and us REAL slaters have got no choice but to teach the next generation the sound, wise principals of roof slating. it's a great video, we've got many more on the way, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/user/REALSLATER#p/a/u/2/s_x0V2uQ1Es

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration