GENUINE PEACH BOTTOM SLATE Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » GENUINE PEACH BOTTOM SLATE « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 594
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 06:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well we don't know all the details on this house, but in Vermont there are times that this happens. It is most of the time a slate roof that was laid over a wood shingale roof. So with that the steel nails don't hold up and don't have a good nailer. So after the roof has been up there for 70 years the wind or ever more often in VT is the snow take the slate off in patches.

Lv_pa (Lv_pa)
Username: Lv_pa

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why would the roof be damaged from 50 mph winds? I have a slate roof (part new and part old) and have had no damage even in 70mph wind storms.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 419
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve, where are you located? That would be a good place to start.

Stevec (Stevec)
Username: Stevec

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, In January 2010 we experienced some damage to our slate roof on our home...12x24 slate. The house has been "patched" on many occasions over the past 20 years. I'm assuming it has been patched with some peach bottom and others. This is an insurance case and the company will support a good job being done to repair the roof. Because of the uplift from 50 mph wind, we have alot of broken and daily shifting of slate. I want someone to do a thorough repair of our entire roof from the wind damage. Who in this area would you recommend with regard to impeccable work?..... Someone that will evaluate the job and replace any "ify" slate so that down the road we don't have daily dropping slate and will have a sound roof for years to come. Thanks, Susan and Steve

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 320
Posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I re-read your post and now I understand. I thought; assumed, you were looking to buy some slate, specifically Peach bottom. The guy that posted just before you on the same page of the forum has some for sale.

Shake Joe's chain and I am sure he can tell you more since he "wrote the book" I just reread that section the other day. Quite a tome about our favorite product. Good luck!

Monteverde (Monteverde)
Username: Monteverde

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you old school. I read in the slate bible that one of the last shipments to go out of a york p.a. quarry went to the town of fox chapel in pgh p.a. i am from that area and would love to see the house. peach bottom

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 319
Posted on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monte, look at the post directly beneath this one.

Monteverde (Monteverde)
Username: Monteverde

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'M LOOKING FOR A PEACH BOTTOM SLATE ROOF IN OR AROUND THE FOX CHAPEL AREA TO VIEW.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration