Snow rail clocked installation? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Snow rail clocked installation? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 527
Posted on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 06:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is no what snow rails are for, it may work but not the way you are thinking. You would want to add to the valley, to deverd the snow that way. In addition a snowrail on the upper roof would need to be added.

If you installed the snowrails on that side low enough to catch the snow from the valley, then add a pcs of steel or copper to the rail system then I could see the snow falling of the roof as you are suggesting, the same would work on the upper rail to.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 312
Posted on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am sure you could do that, but I am also sure that it wouldn't work too well if at all. Perhaps a snow rail system on both planes to keep the snow up on the roof until it melts? That is how it is normally done anyway!

Koza (Koza)
Username: Koza

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

indeed, same goes for the other side. the gutters are stained and timy for the amount and speed of water/snow they receive. the liners at the valleys have been replaced.

Walter_musson (Walter_musson)
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 173
Posted on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It looks to me like just as much gets dumped from the other roof plane to the left .
Are the gutters as stained as the picture suggests ?? Do you have problems with the metal liners ?

Koza (Koza)
Username: Koza

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We live in Mass. and hence we have a lot of snow. As you can see from the photograph of our house all the snow from the slate roof ends up on our deck. Can you install, for example, a 3-rail snow system at about 15-30 degrees c.w. angle (as shown with 3 red lines in the photo) that will not just stop but most importantly redirect the avalanche to the right hand side of the house (so no need for me to shovel)?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration