SIP's and Slate Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » SIP's and Slate « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris (Chris)
Username: Chris

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i used square edge, and i had to square a few of them myself on site.
although my substrate was plywood under the 1 by,, i did have rafters every 16" oc and i nailed my boards to the rafters.
enjoy your project and post some pics as you go along:)

Diggs (Diggs)
Username: Diggs

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks chris, I had a feeling that the spacing might be close for the 14"s that i'm using. I guess that for the extra few hundred dollars that i'll spend on the decking, the roof will be better off in the long run. Since I'll be decking the whole roof though, do they have to be t&g or can I get away with just square edge boards screwed down securely?

Chris (Chris)
Username: Chris

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2010 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

diggs, there are alot of good answers below.
i have personally used 1x4 nailers on top of 1/2 inch plywood.
it worked ok. the slates were 18's

i am doing 12 randoms now and i decided to just deck the whole roof with 1x6 local pine. the spacing was so close it just didnt warrant spacing them out. and i can now paper over the whole deck.

since you are using 14 length slates i would say just deck the whole roof with 1x6 or 1x4 lumber.

Diggs (Diggs)
Username: Diggs

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2010 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm going to be putting random 14 " slate on my roof which is only covered with osb. If I use rough sawn nailers, could anyone tell me what size nailer would be adequate enough and what the correct spacing of the nailer should be?

Kirk M.
Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm building a new home, and would like to use slate for my roofing material. I'll be using Structural Insulated Panels (SIP's) at a 12/12 pitch, for my roof deck. The panels are 10" thick with 7/16 OSB on each side. I've been reading through your site that you should use at least 1" hard wood if you want your roof to last. Is there a way that I can use slate with these panels?

Peter
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

You might want to run this by your manufacturer or an engineer / architect.

Fix 2" X 1" laths up the roof using screws at 12" centres.

Lay a vapour permeable membrane over across the laths, Tyvek or similar.

Fix your Slating laths through the underlay to the laths.

This method should work because you will have the waterproofing 2" off the outer panel, so cold bridging shouldn't be a problem.

The Tyvek or similar should allow the space to ventilate also providing a temporary waterproofing while the roof is being slated.

The American roofers may have a simpler solution or may think my proposal is off the wall.

Regards,

Peter Crawley, M.I.o.R.

www.crawleyroofing.com

slateworks
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We Installed 1 slate roof over-SIP'S. Installed IWS on the first 3' of Panel then install 30# felt paper,we then installed 1" x 3" boards vertically 16"oc,then installed another set horizontally oc to match the size of slate for nailing and so the top edge of slate would rest on just below center of nailer,we installed the 2 sets of nailers so we could install a ridge vent system,Having the felt under nailers worked fine ,plus installing the vertical nailers first allowed the rain to drain freely, I do like the idea of installing the felt over the horizontal nailers,I would use the new synthetic felt-Titanium -very strong,lightwieght and does not shrink or wrinkle,would work well for keeping the structure dry while installing the new slate roof. Ron

admin
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We also installed a slate roof over an ISP roof this year. The ISP particle board roof was already felted with 30 lb felt (I believe it was half-lapped -- the owner had already done this part). We ran 1x4 horizontal rough-sawn hemlock nailing battens every 9" or so (whatever the slate size required for nailing). The nailers were screwed to the roof with pairs of screws every 18" or so. We left a gap of about an inch between the ends of the nailing boards so that if water ever did penetrate the roof (say a tree fell on it during a rainstorm), it could drain out over the felt paper and between the nailer ends (i.e., we did not want the horizontal nailers to be a permanent "dam" on the roof). Seemed to work fine, but installing the horizontal nailers over the ISP panels added a lot of time and material to the job. We should have charged more money.

Joe Jenkins

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration