Headlap question on 4/12 pitch Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Headlap question on 4/12 pitch « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Branden_wilson (Branden_wilson)
Advanced Member
Username: Branden_wilson

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

as far as using the prepunched holes, i believe the smallest length slate you can use with a 4" headlap is 16". although you may want to check a sample piece cause i've had a couple batches of 16" slates with the holes punched too low for a 4" headlap. otherwise you're gonna have to do what old school said. good luck

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 276
Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take a slate hammer and punch holes higher on the slate and then it will work!

Chris (Chris)
Username: Chris

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thinking about building a barn with a 4/12 pitch, the minimum for a slate roof.
the book calls for a 4 inch headlap because of the reduced slope.
makes sense.
my question is, what is the minimum size(length) slates one can use and still get a 4" headlap under the nail holes.
i have a 12" piece of slate in my hands and it doesnt make it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration