What is the best snow guard for retrofit Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » What is the best snow guard for retrofit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 474
Posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the SRCA contractor link: http://www.slateroofers.org/directory.html.

Here's a link to some Berger retrofit snowguards that will not flatten out: http://josephjenkins.com/store/product.php?productid=16262&cat=308&page=1

Chris (Chris)
Username: Chris

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

there is a slate roof contractors association....a link is somewhere on these websites.
try contacting one of those slaters near your area.

Bubba2 (Bubba2)
Username: Bubba2

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks I appreciate the feed back. I'm a little gun shy on snow guards. A number of years ago I had some replaced. I have pigtails that are breaking off or flattenning. The contractor i chose was a well known one and replaced pig tails with pigtails. He nailed them right through the top slate, not underneath. I didnot know this was wrong at the time. I do now after leak problems.

Since then I got a good guy but he retired 3 years ago. It seems slate roofing is a dying profession. Not many good knowledgeable contractors around.

Thanks again.

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 473
Posted on Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't use galvanized - they rust. Berger retrofit are fine. $20 each installed is a fair price.

Bubba2 (Bubba2)
Username: Bubba2

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are Berger sgg100 type snow guards the best for retrofitting an older roof? They slide up under the slate and hook to the nail. Or are the type that require slates to be lifted and nailed down better. Also, does it matter which material of construction is used they come in copper, stainless steel, galvinized steel. In the past I have had some snow guards replaced with the clover leaf type that needed the slates lifted and were nailed in. The current estimate i have is for slide up and hook on a nail type. Also what is a reasonable price for replacing snow guards. I'm need to install 50 and it is hard to get anyone to bid. One estimate so far for $1000. Can't seem to interest others and this guy has done good work for a neighbor. I appreciate any advice.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration