What do you slaters use on your homes? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » What do you slaters use on your homes? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Daniel Ernst
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 12:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I just finished reading the SRB. And I'm in the process of designing my own home. Slate seems like an excellent choice, but there are so many options (colors, sources, sizes, etc.)!

Then I started wondering, what do slaters install on their homes? New? Recycled? Locally quarried, or from a particular region? How many actually use the Peach Bottom, Buckingham, Monson, or New York Red slates? How many use what comes off jobsites? Preferences in size, style? Open / closed valleys? Slate ridges or copper ridge caps? And if you slaters could build your "perfect roof" what would you choose? Any consensus, or wildly variable?

Joe - I noticed you used some recycled slate on several of your structures, but I don't recall reading much about your house - not to pry. ;)

Anyway, I'm hoping this topic will generate some discussion from some of the well respected regulars on this forum!

Cheers,
Daniel Ernst

Walter Musson
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My home was built new in 1990 and has recycled Monson slate that came off several homes that were slated for demolition.I bought the salvage in place and removed and trucked it to my home site.I don't have any valleys just three gable roofs ,one main house and two smaller intersecting gables,so these are step flashed into my sidewalls.
I do prefer open valleys and copper ridge caps.
My garage roof is yet to be put on,but it is Monson salvaged from a re-roofing project on a commercial building that had problems with snow and ice crashing down onto the street and sidewalks.Even though I quoted to install snow guards to alleviate this Winter time problem the owner wanted an architectural shingle put on.
He now has a 30 year roof and I have a 100 yr. slate for my garage.My sidewall shingles are 7x12 Brownville slate cut to make a hexagon pattern.
They are being cut by my helper and me when time permits,and hopefully installed this Fall.
One porch is standing seam copper but I kind of wish I had used those Revere copper shingles.I think they look really impressive.

slateworks
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our house is about 80 to 90 years old and still has the original Pa. grey slate,it still turns water,nails are rusting away so some slate fall out every year.I have planned on installing a rough textured random graduated roof for about 5 years(shoemaker syndrom),I have all the slate stacked behind my garage it is a mix of new and salvaged,everything from perfect to broken corners ect.,various colors & thickness,1/4" thick to 1" thick,Hopefully this winter I will install the new roof,one good thing all the new slate will look like salvaged slate since they have been sitting for several years.There are many different styles of slate to choose from,so I think the style of your home would dictate what type of slate roof would look the best.
Walter ,Congratulations for installing a great roof on your house,hard to find the time to do our own houses.
Ron

Walter Musson
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 05:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ron,
I took two years off and on building the house ,but I have the same syndrom as you on the garage.It's been up for three years with a 30# roof and Tyvek wall covering.
My wife says my clients get my best time and we get the leftovers.

admin
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have recycled slate roofs on all of my buildings, although some have a mix of new slate and recycled slate. The only exception is the roof of a new 50'x80' steel building which I have just had erected - it's a steel roof. It's located out of site of my home so i don't have to look at it. I have a photo of the most recent slate roof I installed for myself at http://www.jenkinsslate.com/install_styles.htm - it's the 4th and 5th photos from the top - I put the roof on a picnic shelter by a lake on our property. My house is shown in the Slate Roof Bible, 2nd edition, page 207, top. I prefer open valleys, although I want to do some rounded valleys. I'll have to build more buildings first, probably.

Joe Jenkins

Daniel Ernst
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Walter, Ron, and Joe for the responses.

It's encouraging to see slaters actually using slate on their homes. I've noticed disturbing trends in both the cabinet making / timber framing business - where most craftsman turn out beautiful work for their customers, but have none of it for themselves. Economics aside, it never seemed right.

I'm in the process of getting some Peach Bottom samples from Durable Slate and new Vermont samples from Camara Slate. There are quite a few companies out there! Both of these businesses displayed knowledge, professionalism, and responsiveness to inquiries.

Now, onto a decision . . .

Walter Musson
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good luck in finding the right choice of slate for your new home.
It's nice to see people choosing slate for new construction,instead of the usual architectural shingles we see on so many new homes.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration