Headlap question? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Headlap question? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris (Chris)
Intermediate Member
Username: Chris

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 09:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Message edited by chris on April 12, 2010)

Branden_wilson (Branden_wilson)
Intermediate Member
Username: Branden_wilson

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i, like the others like to cut my starters when they come that way and i use the pieces i cut off to make slate cant strips. i got the idea if slate cant strips from a book called "the slate roof book". my customers love the slate cant strips and i have to say i do too. it makes the roof appear even thicker and really, what makes a better cant than slate?

Chris (Chris)

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes, every 6.5 inches with 1x4
existing deck, unfortunately, is .5 plywood
i papered with 30 paper(just in time)
i am also going to have to add molding to the front and sides, and primer and paint it, because of the increased height of the new deck.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 266
Posted on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 07:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liam, that looks like what I see on one of the first pictures. There is a bunch of 1 x lumber on the ground in front of the garage.

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 500
Posted on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 05:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you strapping the roof too?

Chris (Chris)

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris (Chris)

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

rain rain go away!

Chris (Chris)

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks guys.
thats what i will do.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 265
Posted on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 07:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, Just cut the bottom off from the slates you use for a starter instead of turning them sideways. The pieces you cut off can be used for the last course on the top if you are lucky. Depending on how you do the ridges it might work just fine.

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 499
Posted on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 05:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can recut some of the feild slate to the correct side, I try alot of the time and use a slate that will end up giving me a 4" headlap. If I am haveing recut some that not that hard to do. You can also go through some of the slate, checking they to see how good they are, some may break, if these are big enough they will be ideal.

In Burlington VT it is very typiccal to see incorret starters, with incorret coverage. Why, they just use the feild slate. What happens is at some point a leak, from most likely iceing here in VT. What did the people do to try and fix it, tarred the joint. This a commen repair that is needed, and most roofer don't know how to look for this, or correct it.

Chris (Chris)

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i found my answer, i think, under "slate starter courses" issue 5
i'm printing it now.
great website, here.

Chris (Chris)

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi all.
starting a small 10 sq project on my 3 car garage.
I used 20 x 12 a few years back, and this time I am using 16 x 10
My question is this:

Since my starter course is only 10 inches high(sideways), and are prepunched field slates, it is looking like I have to drop my exposure on my third slate to 6 inches,(or even 5.75) instead of 6.5 in order to get the 3 inches of necessary headlap over my starter course

I have the slates laid out on my den floor and i don't see any other way. Am I seeing this correctly?

and also....the starter course has the two holes punched, the lower hole(when turned sideways) lands at the 1.25 mark from the bottom. i am going to use a 1.5 inch overhang.
is this an issue?
technically it only gets 1.5 inches of coverage from the slate above, but i guess it is still "outside" of the building envelope by .25 of an inch???
thoughts?

(Message edited by chris on October 14, 2009)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration