Do people change from asphalt to slat... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Do people change from asphalt to slate roofs? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just wondering if people with asphalt shingles want to change to slate roofs. What is the best way to go about this?

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 06:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes they do. Mostly (what i've seen) it's home owners who's house previously had a slate roof and someone that owned the house before them had it torn off over a couple leaks that more than likely could have been fixed cheaper than the asphalt roof cost but they called an asphalt roofer not a slate roofer so gone was the slate. What I would suggest is getting ahold of a respected slate roofer and have them take a look at your home alot of thought must go into this. If your home had a slate roof then your structure should be alright, if it did not you need to make sure the structure of your home can support the slate. Color of the slate you should pick out as well as area slate comes from (but listen to recommendations from your slate roofer as to what may look best) also size, your slate roofer should be able to help you with that. I would recommend either copper or stainless steel flashings and nails. Also I would always use atleast 30# felt nothing lighter. One more thing, just so you can educate yourself on this subject of slate roofs, buy the slate roof bible

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks for the response. I live in Toronto canada and was wondering if the slate roof business would be viable here. You mention the structure should be solid, what would be the things you look for to determine that. I don't see any slate roofs going up here but we do have hundreds of old slate homes but there are pre world war II. I do have the slate roof bible and have enjoyed it immensely. I'm in an apartment right now but someday would like to install a slate roof on my own home.

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Things to look for are foundation, walls and roof truss (rafters). Also the roof decking should always be plank lumber never plywood. Good luck (someday) on your slate roof and it's good to ask questions before you start your own slate roof deal. I have been around slate roofing since the day I was born and i'm 40yrs. old and I also enjoyed the slate roof bible-thanks Joe! Oh yea an answer to your other question would a slate roof buisiness be viable up there? Then you state there is hundreds of old homes with slate roofs, WHERE EVER THERE IS SLATE ROOFS THERE IS A NEED FOR A SLATE ROOFING BUISINESS. But, don't just try it off the slate roof bible go to work for or seek out a professional slate roofer as a tutor and learn the trade as there is alot to learn before your ready. I think I speak for the majority of professional slate roofers when I say we all learn or see something new often, maybe not every day but often. Keep on slating

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration