Slaters Nails with pictures Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slaters Nails with pictures « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John_chan (John_chan)
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There was more than one manufacturer of the star head nails I believe, but DB Gurney still makes them. They've been making specialty copper and brass fasteners for close to 200 years. Gurney's fasteners have made it all over the country.

We've done work in a number of states and found this type of nail. Certain companies back in the day used to put a stamp of some sort on the head.

John Chan
The Durable Slate Co.
www.durableslate.com
jchan@durableslate.com
504-717-1318

Marothbauer (Marothbauer)
Username: Marothbauer

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 08:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am working on restoring a historical home in Colorado Springs, CO with the same stamping on the nail heads. Any luck locating the manufacturer?

Dennis_m_crookshanks (Dennis_m_crookshanks)
Username: Dennis_m_crookshanks

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can't help with the star nail head, but the Sagittarius / or Centaur, is from the Chase Brass and Copper Co. circa 1928

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, October 09, 2009 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It wouldn't surprize me if the makers used a special logo, but I can't tell you for sure. I have seen a lot of the slate nails with the star on them doing repairs. I haven't bought any new ones with anthing but a smooth surface, and I have been using copper nails for about 30 years. No help here.

Remo (Remo)
Username: Remo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, October 09, 2009 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have seen many slate roofs with 'pictures' on the copper nail head, and now i am in a litigious situation and need some back-up. Old-timers have told me that the pictures could be traced to a year and possibly a manufacturer. I am trying to date a slate roof with stars on the nail head, see attached photo. I have also seen hammers, and what appears to be Sagittarius on nail heads. I have seen the star on roofs at Yale in New Haven, and other figures on other roofs in the metropolitan NYC and suburbs. Can anyone tell me if these can be traced back to a year or a maker?copper nail head with star

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration