Nail head size? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Nail head size? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Branden_wilson (Branden_wilson)
Intermediate Member
Username: Branden_wilson

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i usually order slating nails and they have a slightly smaller head than standard roofing nails. the larger heads should work fine, the smaller ones just fit in the holes a little better. if the nailheads are ending up flush with the slate surface or just under and the slate can still be "wiggled" a bit then you're fine.

(Message edited by branden wilson on October 11, 2009)

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 256
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They used to have slate nails with a star embossed on the top. They have the same size heads as regular roofing nails. As far as the length of the nail, it should be twice the thickness of the slate plus 1 inch.

Jafi (Jafi)
Username: Jafi

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just wanted to check on the correct type of nails to use to replace slate. My local store has 1.5" copper roofing nails. They have the large flat head like typical roofing nails. The slates I have removed seem to have a smaller head. Let me know what you think.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration