Counsel please on slate roofing "syst... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Counsel please on slate roofing "systems" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOOGER; Branden is the first one I was going to have you contact. I really don't like to go over to the Detroit area to work anymore. I ws there for about 10 years in the late 80's to mid 90's doing a lot of "hard roofing" If Branden is going to be up there anyway, wait for him and LISTEN to him. good luck!

Branden_wilson (Branden_wilson)
Intermediate Member
Username: Branden_wilson

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello, i'm from macomb county but i currently reside in south florida. it seems as though you have an accurate understanding of slate roof alternatives. i have to say i agree. neither tru-slate or nu-lok is really a slate roof at all. i hear all the time that people want a slate roof but are willing to comprimise to avoid paying what it costs. i say you're better off looking into other options if you just can't afford slate. there is not a simulated slate out there that's even close to the real thing.

i only install time tested materials that have proven themselves so i can only use natural materials. i really don't have any man-made suggestions. i usually reccomend to someone in your situation to continue educating yourself on slate before you dismiss it. many times one will learn that slate is actually the wiser and even less expensive choice considering it's proven lifespan(if installed properly). that being said, i also feel the same about clay. but before resorting to a man-made, temporary, potentialy toxic form of roofing, please consider wood shakes and shingles. wood shingles are installed very much the same way that slates are and although temporary, have a predictable lifespan, are historically correct, age gracefully and can safely return to the earth from which they came once they have protected you home for decades.

i'm not trying to steer you away from slate but rather steer you clear of cheap, toxic imposteurs. i've installed over a thousand roofs in macomb, oakland and wayne counties and i believe a simple drive around should help you make your decesion. for example, just take a drive around birmingham. look at the roofs, eventually you'll begin to see what us slaters see....beautiful homes just get ruined with cheap roofs and humble dwellings become items of character when properly crowned.

you came to the right place for info. just one more thing, make sure you're not getting bids from "roofers", "contractors", or especially "roofing contractors". guys may be one of these titles legally but a real slater will represent himself as a slater and you will know these guys by their work not their words.

old school is the best i know in MI. if he's busy then like him, i know a couple really good slate companies in your area as well. also, i am still set up in MI and return there for work and family from time to time. my company is only myself and my business partner(who's from roseville), we install all of the work ourselves and have no plans or goals to ever change that. i will be in MI toward the end of october(or maybe sooner) to do some stone masonry and would be happy to give you a bid or introduce you to local slaters if you wish. i've learned how to help slate roof owners overcome the expense issues as this is a common hurdle for us in the industry. good luck!

here's some examples of my work
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=8326&id=1644955140&l=bfbd79dc3d

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2SOcZW58pw

Looger (Looger)
Username: Looger

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Old School!

We are in Lathrup Village (inside of Southfield).

Thanks for any referrals!

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 247
Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looger; We are in Kalamazoo, but I know of several very good roofers in the Detroit area. The sad thing about those two systems you mentioned is that they cost about as much as real slate, but they rely on a undelayment to keep out the water. What part of Detroit are you in? Grosse Pointe?

Epl (Epl)
Intermediate Member
Username: Epl

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzanne,
I do not offer Tru Slate or Nu-Lok, however I may be able to offer you either new or salvaged slate at a very competitive investment amount (if slate is still an option for you).

Please send me an email or call me here at the office to further discuss your requirements.

Thank you,

Eric P. Loema
Renaissance Tile and Slate
Sales | Salvage | Procurement
P (800) 699-5695 | F (815) 547-1425
epl@claytileroof.com | www.claytileroof.com

Looger (Looger)
Username: Looger

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We live in a suburban Detroit historical city and are researching replacing our current asphalt roof with slate. Our preliminary research indicates traditional slate is prohibitive in terms of cost. We are currently getting bids on Tru Slate by GAF and are also looking into Nu-Lok which uses Greenstone slate.

Our home is a 1941 1.5 story bungalow with a steep pitch on the roof. The area is approx. 17 squares.

What has been your experience with Tru Slate and Nu-Lok? I know these are relatively new systems. Is Tru Slate really just a plastic roof with a fancy slate covering? Is Nu-Lok any better? What other slate "systems" should we look into?

We're also concerned about the quality of the Tru Slate. How do we find out if it's S1 or lower?

What alternatives to slate can you suggest? High quality architecutural asphalt for instance?

Any counsel would be GREATLY appreciated!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration