Replace slate roof or not? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Replace slate roof or not? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration (Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration)
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Claire, our organization (SRCA) has several members in and around Baltimore--they're listed elsewhere on this site. I am confident that you can find at least one among the bunch to come and take a look.

As far as repair vs replace is concerned, all I am hearing is that you have broken slate; not a word about flashing/leak issues, which is the big expense. In a day or two, and for a few thousand dollars, perhaps things could be straightened out up there. Compare that to $12-15/sq' to replace with fake slate (about $40k to re-roof a modest home.)

I think the answer is obvious.

John_chan (John_chan)
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Claire,

A good salvaged slate such as Peach Bottom or Buckingham would be in the same general color, and it would be far superior to any of the synthetic slates. Not only that, but you might be able make an insurance claim of some sort since it damaged your gutters during the blizzard. Let me know if you'd like to discuss your options further.

John Chan
The Durable Slate Co.
1050 N. Fourth St.
Columbus, Ohio 43201
(800)666-7445
(504)717-1318 cell
www.durableslate.com
jchan@durableslate.com

Claire_homeowner (Claire_homeowner)
Username: Claire_homeowner

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a homeowner in Baltimore and feeling a bit overwhelmed in going down the right path about my slate roof. My roof is 60-61 years old and I have performed regular maintenance on it. I think it may be Bangor slate (??); I donít think it is Peach Bottom. In the last several years, I have seen many roof replacements in my immediate and surrounding neighborhoods Ė with the vast majority using a slate look-a-like product. My untrained eye has been telling me for the last few years that the life of my slate roof is coming to an end and I got some estimates for synthetic slate almost 2 years ago. But the economy and job situation told me to repair vs. replacement. My next door neighbor had synthetic slate (Certainteed Symphony) installed a year ago and it does look very, very nice. But, I have just been plain uncomfortable about the life and performance of synthetic slate Ė say in 5-10 years (I donít care about the 50 year guarantee Ė I donít expect to be around then!). My roofer who did my recent repairs told me about salvaged slate, which I had not heard of before. I got The Slate Roof Bible from the library and have been looking and looking on the internet Ė so much information to digest. And I read in the Bible about restoring vs. replacement, so more confusion.

The two back-to-back blizzards we had in Baltimore a few weeks ago caused gutter and roof damage. When the snow and ice finally fell off the back roof, it brought down or broke a lot of the slates along the edge of the roof. I think this event is pushing me to decide about the larger issue rather than investing money in the repair. Obviously I want to make the right decision Ė financially, getting a good job done and not being taken. Should I get a consultation first rather than risk being told I really need a new roof (when maybe I donít).

Iím sending a pic (the back roof) based on the previous post. (PS-Iíve never written to a Message Board before. I had to make the pic size small to post so I donít how it will look.)
Back Roof (asphalt addition in foreground)

Epl (Epl)
Username: Epl

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, September 11, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are tell tale signs of slate deterioration/ failure. In most cases, a good domestic slate will last 100 years (+/-).
A good indication of slate failure would be the flaking of the exposed surface of the slate.
If you have a piece of this slate, you may also "sound it" or nock on it - a dull thud is an indication that it maybe nearing the end of it's lifespan.
You may want to post some photos of the roof (close ups) so we may take a look at what you have there.

Thank you,
Eric Loema

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 446
Posted on Friday, September 11, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please post a photo.

R_glick (R_glick)
Username: R_glick

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, September 11, 2009 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am currently under contract to buy a home in Western Massachusetts. Part of the roof is slate, part is cheap asphalt shingles. The slate has been maintained by a local slate roof contractor for about 20 years. We had the home inspected last week and the inspector insisted that the slate is at or near the end of its useful life. Examples: slate shingles have slid off into the valley in one area, ice damage is visible, there has been tarring in the joints in some areas. Are these really clues that the roof is shot, or should we take the slate repair guy's advice that the roof is "fine, it just needs maintenance?"

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration