Question for Mr. Jenkins - New 1/2 we... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Question for Mr. Jenkins - New 1/2 weight Slate System (TruSlate) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 437
Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Although I am a slate roofing consultant and provide related services nationwide, I don’t consider the Truslate system to be a slate roof system. It is a basically a high density polyethylene roof decorated with slate. I wouldn’t even say they’re decorated with roofing slates or shingles because the slates do not overlap in such a manner as to be considered shingles. Therefore, I do not provide roof surveys for these types of installations.

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 467
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Its real slate China's and other slate but, is installed on a steel-track system. The slate hange off that, with these hooks. Then the other part is the key ways, the cracks in between each slate are water prof with plastic.

Here is a link-

http://www.truslate.com/Content/GAF/RES1/ROOF/TruSlate/index.asp

Marc (Marc)
Username: Marc

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please tell me what TruSlate is. Is it slate or a manmade product?

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 430
Posted on Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The underlayment will never be of primary importance in a properly constructed roof.

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 461
Posted on Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 06:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ha Dedra, I sure you will get a few more ideas here. I no sure if you are going to get any one to say, ya go ahead and use it. It a great product. Most of us here want the client to have the best roof they can in the most traditional way, and alot of that starts with the correct structure design of a build. As you talk with me early this week, you have a part of your roof that can only take 600 per sq. A typiccal sq is only 800 to 1000 pounds so where not that far away. I sure by install a strip of copper over each course of slate in a system like the, TRuslate would be best. (So, you install a smaller slate and rely on the copper to do the ready water protection.) Because of the possible of repairs if the furture haveing a material like copper rather then the HDPE will be alot eazier for the slate repairer and proven to work.

I have a sister company that work alot of high end jobs in the town of Stowe VT. Muilt-million dollor home, they install TruSlate on the main house, there already have pcs falling out. These system don't need to be used.

Theres no possilbilty to install decrotive colar ties or other support from the inside?

What is the decking on the project?

Jamdelk (Jamdelk)
Username: Jamdelk

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Jenkins,
I am interested in what your opinion of this system. It is installed over plywood with breathable and non breathable membranes. A product called HDPE: a high density polyethylene used in land fills as liners is used between the slate and the membrane. In the arena of roofing products where there is not much available and in my case, where weight is an issue. What is your take on this application with its underlayment being of primary importance? Would underlayments from another company more high tech in synthetic permeable and non permeable products (like Grace Basic, Cossella Dorken, Polystick TU-P, or Tarco PS200-HT) provide a superior protection? Thank you for your time and consideration on the assessment of this product.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration