Installing copper strips to clean sla... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Installing copper strips to clean slate roofs? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Plaughlin1 (Plaughlin1)
Intermediate Member
Username: Plaughlin1

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have used 7mm zinc strip before, it works pretty well but you need to install the strips about every 12th course of slate.

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 463
Posted on Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 07:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was tolded zinc. This also has come up before on this message board and suggest a search.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 09:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It will work better than the Zinc strips because they have a tendency to "glaze" over after a while and loose their effectiveness.

Would they consider just installing a copper ridge roll instead? That would do the trick without having to attach the strips every so often!

Something like what Olde Mohawk said too. If it embeds itself into the surface of the tile it would last a long time. Good luck!

Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration (Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration)
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Matt: I have not heard of using copper for this purpose. However, zinc strips are often spec'd to serve such a role. As an alternative, we have had great success with an anti-microbial solution from Cathedral Stone Products (link below.) "D2" was designed to serve the same purpose, but in masonry restoration applications (ie, stone walls, brickwork, etc.) It is completely safe and highly effective on slate roofs, too.

http://www.cathedralstone.com/products/solution.aspx

Complete_construction_contractors (Complete_construction_contractors)
Username: Complete_construction_contractors

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a project where the house has an existing slate roof which has mildew etc on it. My client is requesting that we add copper strips to the roof to the roof after washing it to maintain it's cleanliness. Will this work and what is the proper way to install it? The roof has tile caps mortared on all the ridges. I have received mixed advice on this and if it even works very well. I have also been advised to add strips every 8-10 feet up the roof. I do not want to do this for my client if it will not be beneficial in the long run. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Matt Morris
Owner
Complete Construction Contractors
Email: completeconstruction2001@gmail.com
PH: 225-281-7616
Baton Rouge, LA

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration