Leak free joint and w-valley flashing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Leak free joint and w-valley flashing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jimmyjim (Jimmyjim)
Username: Jimmyjim

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use the link below. It's free, web based and pretty slick. Just resize by pixels or just slide the slidebar to the left. You can even try a sample 1st.

http://fotoflexer.com/

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 424
Posted on Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Photoshop is the best program for manipulating pictures of any kind. You can buy a "limited edition" version that will do everything you need and it's cheap.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/

Jafi (Jafi)
Username: Jafi

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have pictures to send, but system says they are too big. Any sugestions on program to use to reduce the size?

Jafi (Jafi)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 09:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sounds like the best advice is to do standard v valley flashing. I also have a question on how to do my gable return. On the gable return the existing pitch is only about 1/12. The main roof is a 12/12. This may be why it is in such bad shape. I have rebuilt fascia and want to know the best way to create a leak free joint between the two roof sections. I hope you can give some good advice or figures on how to do this. I will try to post picture of return and dormer roofs

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 455
Posted on Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 05:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How much roof area is the valley catching? Go a picture.

Walter_musson (Walter_musson)
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 04:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No need to use a W valley on equal pitched roof like that . Just use a V bent valley

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 204
Posted on Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the ridges go over the top of it, you can just flatten out the Vees where they meet at the top and put another piece of copper over them. It will never be seen!

Jafi (Jafi)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 09:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have valley flashing that needs replacement. Both main roof and dormer have a 12/12 pitch. The valley flashing needs to be replaced. Currently there is only about a 3” gap in the valley. Due to the steep pitch and what I have read (“Slate roof Bible”), it seems that w-valley flashing is the best way to go? The two valleys meet about 2 feet below the ridge. I can’t figure out how the w-valley flashing would flatten out to fit under the slate above the dormer? Do you put some type of cap on the w-flashing and transition to a V or flat piece of flashing?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration