Am I overloading my Rafters Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Am I overloading my Rafters « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Sarick
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am half way through a slate replacement on a house which had an original slate roof built in 1927. The original slate was 22" X 11" 3/16" thick. My replacements are 20" X 10" 3/16" but the new seem to vary up to to 1/4" inch. My roof is "L" shaped and I begin on the left side of the "L". I noticed the rafters were drooping about 1'4" over the length of a 4' level. I put the level on the rafters running down the opposite side and they are straight. My rafters are 5.5" by 1.75" and look in good shape. There are horizontal braces running about 7ft above my head in the walk in attic and also 'knees' along the floor supporting the rafters about three feet back from the lower ends of the rafters. I cut and old slate down to the 10" by 20" size and weighed them both. Old = 4.25lbs and the new were 5.25lbs. I didn't check for the drooping before I ripped the old roof off, but I am concerned I am overloading the rafters, especially in the snow belt of Cortland, N.Y. Should I be concerned enough to halt and try to get thinner slates or is this normal and probably something I just didn't notice before I began??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

admin
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The difference in slate is insignificant and should not be a problem. If there is 1/4" deflection in the rafters, it was probably there before you took off the original roof.

Joe Jenkins

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration