Leak in slate roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Leak in slate roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We bought and moved into a 1925 Tudor-style home in the fall, which has a very prominent and large slate roof, a large section of which is not pitched very steeply. To our dismay, this past winter, we discovered that water was penetrating into a room directly under an eave near the overhang on the south-east side of the house. This leak occurred after a large snowfall with snow accumulation on that area of the roof, followed by sunny, cold temperatures. That section of the roof dams quite frequently, and there is evidence that water intrusion has occurred in that very room for many years.

I have asked roofers for suggestions on a fix, the general consensus is to strip the slate tiles approximately 3 feet from the edge all along the roofline, then install a copper "ice belt" in their place, which would run along the entire edge of the roof on that side of the house(approx. 20 feet).

I am concerned by this "solution" for two reasons:

1) Aesthetically, such a large, prominent sheet of copper on the facade of the house will change the look of the roof, and the house generally, in a big way.

2) I question whether this will fix the problem at all, since the leak seems to be occurring higher up the roof than the 3 feet that will be covered by the ice belt. I was informed that the purpose of the belt is not so much to provide a "cover" for the house, but rather, to prevent ice dam formation by allowing melting snow-water to run off the roof more easily, as the copper is a more slippery surface than slate, and will therefore be less likely to allow water to freeze up, because it heats up in the sun. Note that the ice dams run approx. 10-15 feet vertically up the roof (approx. two feet across) starting at the eaves.

I recently came across a response to a reader (Issue 2, Number 1, Spring 2002 of "Traditional Roofing"), where Joe Jenkins suggests installation of copper bib flashings under the slots to fix such a leak. Would you recommend such a remedy in my case, and do you have any other ideas? Am I stuck with the "ice belt solution"?

The house is located in the Boston-area. I am looking for good, experienced slate roofers who are familiar with or would like to take on this project in a "non-invasive" way, along the lines of Joe Jenkins' recommendations above. That is, i would prefer a solution that works, and avoids stripping a large section of the roof, and also avoid replacing slate tiles with large visible amounts of "foreign" materials, such as a copper ice belt on such a large section of the roof.

I look forward to your replies.

Walter Musson
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you look around the Boston area you will see many slate roofs with copper "aprons" or ice belts because back up problems are a concern in the Northeast.After it weathers in you won't find it distasteful I don't believe.
You could try the bib install at low expense,and if it works you're in the clear.If not you'll have to do a more thorough job to stem the problem.

slater
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We install ice dam barrier all the time in this case. email me. I am in the Boston area.

slater

slater
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

we are at slater7007@hotmail.com

slater

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration