Debris chutes for slate removal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Debris chutes for slate removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 427
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 05:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Planejane, We all have been there, alot of times the best way to get things done is just to do it your self . I spent may late days on job just moveing slate around for a few hours by hand. Just to load the roof for the next day.

We are on a 6 color blend slate roof with 3 sizes rigth know, even though I lift it to the roof with a crane, we still have to permix all the colors and size on the ground which is alot of work in itself.

Planejane (Planejane)
Username: Planejane

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No wonder it's taking me so long to do my roof, I carry all my slate up and down myself, by hand. If I'm going to put in a really long day I go up town and pick up a day laborer and pay him $10 to $12 and hour to do it. They work really hard and it sure is cheaper then that expensive chute you want to rent. You do have to feed them. That's a couple extra bucks!

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 425
Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I try and put pallet that are about 2500lbs on the stageing. I also only have heavy duty stageing like what NES Rental has, not the home owner blue stuff.

Lv_pa (Lv_pa)
Username: Lv_pa

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slate_man, wow-- you're putting an entire pallet of slate on your scaffold, then lifting it off with a crane? Doesn't a pallet of slate weigh like over a ton? So by OSHA rules your scaffold has to be built to hold 4 tons. That must be one hell of a scaffold.

Anyway, it's not really practical or affordable for me to rent heavy machinery for my job. I will look into ladder lifts and pulleys, but it seemed like it would be easier if I could just throw the old stuff down a chute. Thanks to you and old_school for your suggestions, and please let me know if you have any more.

Thanks,
David

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 424
Posted on Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I mostly use chutes for wood shingale, it seem to be less of a mess to clean up. Slate we would try to salvage if the slate is junk we still use old pallets, fill them up on are stageing them lift them of with are crane, or rental depending on the project. Also a ladder lift would work well or pully system. Slate will tear apart the chutes too. I would recomend real chutes and not home made, they would better.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have a scaffold set up? Normally they are attached to the scaffold. If you have to get the new slate up to the roof anyway, you should just rent a Pettibone or other lift. You can take the old down and put the new up as you need it. Much more efficient!

Lv_pa (Lv_pa)
Username: Lv_pa

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

I was wondering if you have any recommendations for debris chutes for taking off old slates from a roof. Do you prefer flexible or rigid? Also, what about cost. I called one place and they wanted $450/week rental for a 30 ft. chute. Does this sound reasonable?

Also, do you have any suggestions for set up/placement on the roof. Do you put it right at the eaves or somewhere along the rake edge, or do you move it as you go along? How do you fasten it to the roof and outside wall?

Thanks,
David

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration