Vaproshield & Lexel sealant Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Vaproshield & Lexel sealant « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Planejane (Planejane)
Username: Planejane

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. The only places I have used caulk is on the ridge and with some flashing. I was putting a bead of caulk along the top edge. I'll try your method when I get to the ridge, next time. I also use a small amount at the peak of the dormer where it meets the house and the 2 top pieces of flashing come together. I put a dab in that tiny corner spot.

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 474
Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The important part of using any sealant is how mush and where. If you are to use any sealant, use very little, a dab about the size of a fingure nail. Install it on the lowest corner on the slate. Using a small amount is important, so that a ripper can cut throw it and a repair can be made.

With slate cap, if you use three nails in a triagler configuration and nail the nail in so the slate will not move down there is no need for sealant.

Planejane (Planejane)

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, just so you guys know, I'm a lady trying to save a lot of money by putting on her own slate roof. I've never done anything like this before and all I've had to go on is Joe's book. I'm grateful for all the input about caulk and if someone has another way to put the ridge up without it I'd sure like to hear it. I've just completed my first closed valleys and will post a picture. That's something that could be written about more. I didn't find much info on it. Only a small amount in "the book".

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Jeff" was standing on the bridge railing hundreds of feet above the river below. "Bill" stopped his car and went to him to talk him out of jumping to his death. "Don't jump" said Bill. "I have nothing to live for" said Jeff. "Are you religious?" asked Bill. Yes said Jeff. So am I said Bill. Eastern Religion or Christian asked Bill? Christian said Jeff. SO am I said Bill; Catholic or Protestant? Protestant said Jeff. So am I said Bill; Main stream or Evangelical? Evangelical said Jeff. So am I said Bill; evangelical Baptist or Christian Reformed. Reformed said Jeff. So am I said Bill; Reformed form the Synod of 1878 or 1924? 1924 said Jeff. Die you heratic said Bill as he pushed him off the bridge!

How can we argue about the 1% we disaggree on and ignore the other 99%? Just a thought!

Braymer (Braymer)
Username: Braymer

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 08:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you should stay IN. I like your point of view, it differs from lots of others here but those different view points are what keeps it interesting here. You obviously care about traditional roofing and preservation. You even changed my narrow and negative feelings on Chinese slate (a little) a month or two ago.
Heres one thing,, what about those last 2 slates on a saddle ridge ?- what do you do with those nail holes with nothing left to cover them?- they need a little goop of some kind. This is just a minor point, not worth fighting about. Stay in Mr Wilson.

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 430
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 04:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Branden you are gone, that not good, i for one have injoyed your input. I may not like what everyone post but there is alot more good info then bad. Hope to here more from you!

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can't we just get along? Sheesh guys. The Egyptians used Karnak asphalt about 4,000 years ago. Does anyone know a better way to seal a chimney counter flashing to a wall than a good caulk? Some things are useful if used properly. These computers that we use now were not around 50 years ago, we used typewriters. does that make them bad?

lighten up!

Branden_wilson (Branden_wilson)
Username: Branden_wilson

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

gee..thanks back to you for the assumption. i'm actually restoring a slate roof right now, peeling off old caulk etc...i got most of the principals i stand for from your book. i can't believe i get disrespected from you of all people for standing up for them. guess there's a bottom line for everyone..... most of my life is a constant battle to help perpetuate the truth about natural roofing amongst the overwhelming amout of profit generating lies. i've got a ton of respect for you joe and quite a few of the guys around here but i'm tired of the level you guys think you're on because you're entrepreneurs. it's your knowledge and experience in a big part that inspires others to keep this trade alive. there's not a business tycoon in all of us, some of us are just humble craftsmen. this is real slater signing out of this site for good, cause i keep it real and won't sell out. thanks for the slate roof bible and all of your wisdom joe but i'm gonna keep installing AND RESTORING slate roofs every day, WITHOUT CAULK. no need to gang up and trash me now, old school knows....when i say i'm out, i'm out.

peace

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 412
Posted on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Branden - get some time in doing restoration work before resorting to assumptions. You will find a need for caulk at times.

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

caulk does not belong on a slate roof.

Planejane (Planejane)

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use caulk on the flashing and ridges. Go to "how -to" click on "slate roof" then "install slate hips & ridges" then "hip & ridge joint detail" and you can see where it's recommended.

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i'm very curious, where does caulk go on a slate roof?

Planejane (Planejane)

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your reply's about the Geocel. So, the GE silicone sealant is out and the Geocel 3500 is going to replace it for caulking the ridge and other jobs I used the GE product for like flashing, right?

I've been using felt like the "Slate Roof Bible" says to do under the slate. I talked to a guy that does slate and he said to use a new product called Vapro shield instead of the felt because it will keep the water out up to 5 or 6 months. He also said that it will breath. Dupont puts out a cheaper version that doesn't breath. This would be good for me because the roof is exposed a few months before I get the slate back on. I usually just tarp it. (My full time job gets in the way.) Have any of you heard of these products and what do you think?

David_spradlin (David_spradlin)
Advanced Member
Username: David_spradlin

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lexel is very runny in the heat. And I'm not a huge fan of silicone either. As far as adhesives go, the Geocel 3500, that Joe mentioned, or Rainbuster for tile, is the best I've used. Unfortunately, I've never seen either one in a "clear" form.

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 407
Posted on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We're now selling Geocel 3500, which is manufactured for slate and tile.

http://josephjenkins.com/store/product.php?productid=16458&cat=0&page=1

Tim_dittmar (Tim_dittmar)
Advanced Member
Username: Tim_dittmar

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I find almost invariably that silicone sealant fails: to adhere to both surfaces if subjected to expansion stress; to hold a coat of paint; to clean up easily; to smooth and/or level well; to work well(if at all) in a minimalist application... it does not really fit the requirements of long-cycle roofing- there are better products available and olde-style techniques and materials that are much more appropriate for slating

Walter_musson (Walter_musson)
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What are you using the Lexel for ??

Planejane (Planejane)

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, June 22, 2009 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Joe,
Jane weeks here, still plugging away on my roof. It's coming along well but it's slow. T
I have two questions for now.
1. What's your feeling about Vapro shield or a similar product that Dupont makes instead of felt? It would be good for me since I don't get the slate back on as fast as I should. Any negatives besides price?
2. What do you think about Lexel sealant instead of the GE silicone sealant?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration