Slate roof over 3/4 " shiplap Roof De... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate roof over 3/4 " shiplap Roof Deck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 158
Posted on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Obviously you have to strip off the old shakes first, but I see no problem with going over the decking with the slate. When you do strip it off, inspect the deck and replace anything that looks suspicious. The slate will be on there for a lot longer than the shakes were!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marc (Marc)
Username: Marc

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My 50 yr old 3/4 inch shiplap roof deck currently is covered with failing cedar shakes. Is my current shiplap roof deck suitable for slate roofing. The shiplap is 7" wide and also in good condition. My roof deck has also been reinforced to handle the extra wt. of a slate or ceramic tile roof.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration