Identifying rain leaks in a slate roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Identifying rain leaks in a slate roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We are at a loss as to how to locate the source of a rain leak. The water comes in above the windows in the addition and the wall above the windows fills with water when this happens. It doesn't happen every storm, though. The roofer replaced 62 slates and resealed the flashing between the addiiton and the house. We have covered gutters and recaulked around the windows. Where should we look next? What could be a possible culprit?

jchan
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

where does the roofer think it's coming from?

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you say the roofer re-sealed the flashings,this sounds supiscious,what material did he use? how old is the addition,sounds like the best thing to do is have a reputable slater take a look or you could try to track the leak with a garden hose from front of roof up along,and try to pinpoint the exact area,as it can also be slates that are too short.

admin
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you email us a photo of the window in relation to the roof?

Joe Jenkins

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is that the recommended way to look for leaks in a slate roof? By spraying the roof with a garden hose?

I have the same problem. And the slate roofing contractor helped me replace some chip slate, etc. 1 out of 3 leaks in my roof has stopped. However, depending on which direction the rain falls, the roof will leak.

Is this also because some of the slates are too short?

Thank you for you help.

admin
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We never use a hose and never will. A good slater will find a leak by looking closely at the roof. There are "hidden leaks," as mentioned in the Slate Roof Bible, that can be hard to find. Sometimes these are caused by slates that have been istalled, usually as replacement slates during repairs, that are too short.

Joe Jenkins

barry
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for the help Joe. I posted regarding the garden hose yesterday.

I took a look at your directory of local contractors. It seems the closest one to me is Landmark Slate and Copper Works. Not sure if they come to my area, but is that directory a list of reliable contractors that don't take customers for a ride?

I live in Douglaston, NY on the Queens/Long Island border. I'd say 80% of the houses in my area have slate roofs. I've asked around for some recommendations and I've been recommended the same roofer a few times. I decided to use him.

He was nice, very friendly, said he guaranteed his work for 2 years. I told him about the leaks. He said my roof was in very good condition. Only a few slates needed replacing and needed some flashing at the peak. I understood what he was talking about and did my own research to make sure. When my roof leaked again when the rain fell at a different angle, I called him up. Empty promises. He never came again to look at it.

He charged me either $250 or $350, it was last year, for replacing about 12 pieces of slate on both the house and garage, flashing the peaks and around the exhaust for the plumbing. Used galvanized dipped nails, did not walk on the roof, etc. pretty much followed procedure according what I've read on this site. Too bad his word isn't good.

You have a great site by-the-way, very informative. Too bad you do not come out to where I am.

tmccdon
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what type of flashing did he put on peaks and around vent pipe?

barry
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He used Karnak to do it, I think it's he one that comes in the red and yellow can.

tmccdon
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A reputable slate roof repairer would rarely use flashing cement,mostly to prolong life of a roof on its last legs,e.g.;60 year old+ pennsylvania slate,you didn't state the type of slate on yours which is another important detail to mention,we are currently working in Queens so i could take a look,schedule is busy,winter approaching,the correct method of repair is to remove old and replace with new copper collar,also you don't state that vent pipe is in leak vicinity

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration