Slate Repairs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate Repairs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tinner666 (Tinner666)
Intermediate Member
Username: Tinner666

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes. I was able to fix 100% of the leakers, and about 90% of the crap that wasn't leaking. The rest will be taken care of as budget allows. I had to replace 1/2 of one rake that was face nailed with 16cc's. The two batches of pictures were of 2 different roof, btw. About par for this area. There are other good to great slate roofers/company owners around here. But they are only as good as their worst employee. If you know what I mean.

Slate Roof Repairs, Richmond, Va.
<A HREF="http://www.albertsroofing.com" TARGET="_blank">Slate Roof Repairs, Richmond, Va.</A>

Braymer (Braymer)
Username: Braymer

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They just need a nice even coat of tar over the whole thing and it would be all finished..
Looks like all the klassic cave man examples on one roof.
Will they let you fix it the way you want to now?

Tinner666 (Tinner666)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also found this today. I recall some bone head that I hired trying this and said his old boss had taught him to repair slate like this.

Each time they drove a 'high' nail in to holh the still broken slte up there, they also broke the one in the keyway. After i took the camera down, I spotted another exposed nail that had been painted white.
<A HREF="http://www.albertsroofing.com" TARGET="_blank">Slate Roof Repairs, Richmond, Va.</A>

Tinner666 (Tinner666)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It came to my attention today that we are spending unnecessary money on specialized slate tools. What a waste of money.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 145
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suppose that is why the association was started! Maybe it just "saved" our lives! Thank you : Joe and Barry and all of the others that are willing to serve and work for the greater good! Good job guys.

Tinner666 (Tinner666)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OS. I think I know the guy. He must have done the two others I also worked on last week.
I think I'll just jump off a cliff this week and be done with it.

Tinner666 (Tinner666)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the right side of that pipe, the offsets were correct, then they got lost. The two I pulled to look at the deck were on hooks, about an 1" lower than all the others around. 2" headlap on the roof. When I explained I would repair around the pipe unless I did it all, he checked and found 3 other leaks in the attic I ID'd from the roof.

Tinner666 (Tinner666)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe you will like this one better. From last week. Two of the largest companies around here got to it first. I haven't touched it. Yet.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am working on one right now that some company from out of town worked on a few years ago. There are "hundreds" of nails driven right through the slate to hold them in place. Spikes, 8 penny nails and some 3 inch roofing nails. None of them copper either. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. These clowns charged this guy 4 hours a day per man to drive to town and drive back every day. If I fix everything that they did, I am going to have to remove over half of the roof. It is about a 20/12 pitch so it is not going to leak for a while, but where do you stop? What a mess!

Braymer (Braymer)
Username: Braymer

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you show them these pictures and stress to them these are obvious problem areas?
If they are not convinced by these pics then they never will be..

Tinner666 (Tinner666)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I looked at roof today and thought I would share one or two pics of what I see every day here.

In the second picture, there are nails driven in the keyways right over the 'repair work too. Just like the nail in the 4th. picture.

This was all over a roof I was sent to do. The Home inspector mentioned a broken one I didn't take apic of, and rusty flashing. Owners don't want to address anything but the punch-list. I said all or nothing and to change the sale to As-Is if he won't correct the issues. Bad as I could use the work, I've turned away from many of these lately.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration